2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The latest tranny victim

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005 | 05:54 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
|
Professional
Default The latest tranny victim

Hey guys I guess this is what I get for bragging about my high mileage. I have been getting this weird grinding noise while I am accelerating and haven't been able to pin point it. Today I took the rubber off the 4x4 shifter to give me direct access so I could hear and it sounds like the tranny. The sound reminds me of when you are shifting from 2wd to 4wd while moving, but sounds like it is comming from the tranny not the transfercase. I just had a complete flush of my tranny acouple days ago to see if that would help but it was a no go. It seems that it is making the sound the most at around 2000rpms and stops if let my foot off the gas and then hit the gas again.

Anybody got any ideas or know where I can get a good cheap tranny cause I am poor

Old 08-16-2005 | 06:27 PM
Ramtuff
Veteran
Default RE: The latest tranny victim

Are you positive it's the tranny? Does it do it in all gears? When was the last time you checked/changed the fluid in the transfer case?

I had a similar situation and thought it was the tranny. I decided to check the t-case first, and it desperately needed a fluid change.

Old 08-16-2005 | 07:01 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
|
Professional

It does seem to do it in all gears except 5th gear. I changed the t-case fluid yesterday hoping that was it. I noticed that I cad some access to the chain in the t-case through the drain plug so I took a screwdriver and put some pressure on the chain and it is still tight. So I don't think the chain is slipping in the t-case.

Old 08-16-2005 | 10:42 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
|
Professional

Well this afternoon I took off the cover around the 4wd shifter in the truck so I could try to pinpoint the noise. I know it is deffinetly comming from either the tranny or t-case. I decided to throw it into 4wd and for a spin and see what happens. I did everything I could to get it to grind and nothing. So I tried 4 low and still nothing. I did notice I didn't seem to have the power I remember having in 4low though. After all that I decided to put it on jackstands so I could pinpoint exactly where the noise was comming from. I got under the truck had my father hit the gas a few times and nothing. I had him ease on the brake and hit the gas and still nothing. SO to sum it all up I am LOST. I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions you guys got would be great.

Old 08-18-2005 | 09:14 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
|
Professional

Alright guys did some more work on my truck today. Today I took out the front drive shaft and drove my truck. The truck did not make any noise at all which leads me to beleive (correct me if I'm wrong) the something in the transfer case is going bad. The best theory I can come up with right now is their must be a plastic bushing in it that keeps the yoke from wobbling. I think that plastic bushing has gone bad and the yoke is wobbling and catching something in the transfer case to cause the grinding.

I am very happy to know that at 242,300+ miles my tranny is still going strong. My baby just might make it to my goal of 400,000 miles on the original engine and tranny.

Old 08-19-2005 | 01:15 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran

Hmm, could be the front yoke is loose (check the bolt that holds the yoke onto the t-case, and wiggle the yoke to see if there's a problem with the bearing inside), but it could also be a problem with the joints on the driveshaft (have just enough slop in them to vibrate at certain rpm's).

Quick Reply: The latest tranny victim