2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 4 x 4 trans jumps in second

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 PM
mikec35
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 4 x 4 trans jumps in second

My 2000 Ram 1500 Automatic jumps throughout second gear. It is worse when cold and when slowly accelerating through the gear range. If I go through second gear somewhat fast then it seems to work ok with no jumping or slipping. Had the band adjusted at a trans shop. The tech laid down on the floor with 2 wrenches and was back on his feet in less than a minute. Not sure if the adjustment needs to be done again or if there are any solenoids or something else to check. Everything else works great. Any advice? Thanks

Old 05-12-2012, 09:21 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you pay for the band adjustment he did? If so, I would take it back.

Also there is a service manual in the FAQ/DIY section to download. Go to the transmission section and there is a troubleshooting guide there.

I am assuming the fluid is full (in neutral) and is not burned smelling?

Old 05-13-2012, 03:26 PM
mikec35

I paid $30 at a locally owned shop. The fluid is clean and at the correct level. I saw the manual in the DIY section. Having trouble locating the troubleshooting guide. Really don't want to have to rebuild this thing! Especially since I was ready to sell and get a 3/4 ton!

Old 05-13-2012, 04:42 PM
mikec35

One more thing. When it gets warm the issue is almost non existent. Thx

Old 05-13-2012, 05:06 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These transmissions are a little tricky, and sometimes, get a bad rap. There are inherent weaknesses which can be easily remiedied without overhaul, providing the problem has not gone on too long, or it has not been severely abused or neglected (as mine had been).

The FSM download can really be your friend. I printed the transmission section and put in plastic sheet protectors (to keep oil and grime off) to keep handy as I diagnosed and rebuilt my tranny. The trans section is section 21 and begins on page 477. the trouble shooting chart starts on page 21-492and goe through pg 502. Gove that a read and see what stands out. Hopefully your problem will be something short of a rebuild, but this will provide a starting point. If fluid was burned smelling, then a rebuild would probably be required. But since it is not, it may be realativey simple and less expensive.

Most common problem is often the governor pressures sensor and/or governor solenoid. The OEM solenoid is not really adequate, but a BW replacement can be obtained online for about $50. Easy to change out (I recently did one in my son's driveway - 200 miles fomr home in about 20 minutes). I would also recommend an aftermarket drain plug kit from your local parts store. This will come in handy and prevent facial bath of tranny fluid in the future!

Read the troubleshooting and post back what you think then and we can look further.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:08 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i don't claim to know anything about transmissions. but if he has no first gear, either when in Drive or Low-1, does that indicate a problem with the low band? or roller clutch thing? and would that also affect reverse? or not necessarily?

any problems with reverse?

Old 05-13-2012, 11:43 PM
mikec35

I have reverse and every thing works perfect, except the slipping/jumping in second gear only. I'll check the manual, thanks for pointing me in the right direction,

Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 PM
mikec35

gdstock, After reading the manual I think the governor pressure sensor and solenoid needs to be replaced. Do you have a recommendation where to purchase them? Quite a few listed on ebay and some listed as heavy duty... I really hope this fixes my problem, I want to sell the truck after I fix the tranny, I am ready for a 3/4 ton! Thanks for your help!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:35 AM
mikec35

I replaced the governor solenoid and sensors, seems to have fixed my problem. Thanks...

Old 06-15-2012, 09:56 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran

Originally Posted by mikec35
I replaced the governor solenoid and sensors, seems to have fixed my problem. Thanks...
Good to hear. What part did you go with? Brand wise anyway...

Quick Reply: 2000 4 x 4 trans jumps in second