2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

92 octane on the 93 sct tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 PM
h0ffers
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, im not thinkin 92 will work which sucks :/ i really wanna know what ill be missing out on though not being able to use the 93

Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by h0ffers
yea, im not thinkin 92 will work which sucks :/ i really wanna know what ill be missing out on though not being able to use the 93
you could allways just install the 93 tune and order one of the octane boosters online that do work well... theres a few in the artcle I linked.... than if its worth it but a case of the stuff somewhere... or find 93 octane... One of the things many have said who tried it is the higher the octane sct tune the faster you go through gas. 93 tune did show the highest torque and hp gains though... a whooping 7hp over the stock deathflash and 20 lbs of torque on the dyno and that was after sean tweaked the fuel ratio to lean it out.... just search the theads posted by "beeker" and youll find his sct thread complet with dyno charts with all three canned sct tunes compared to stock.
(If you havent come across it yet already)

Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
you could allways just install the 93 tune and order one of the octane boosters online that do work well... theres a few in the artcle I linked.... than if its worth it but a case of the stuff somewhere... or find 93 octane... One of the things many have said who tried it is the higher the octane sct tune the faster you go through gas. 93 tune did show the highest torque and hp gains though... a whooping 7hp over the stock deathflash and 20 lbs of torque on the dyno and that was after sean tweaked the fuel ratio to lean it out.... just search the theads posted by "beeker" and youll find his sct thread complet with dyno charts with all three canned sct tunes compared to stock.
(If you havent come across it yet already)
Those are gains over a stock engine. Apparently once you start upgrading things the tuner will actually make a pretty big impact.

HP gains are kinda meh, but 20lbs of torque aint bad, especially for a truck

Old 05-17-2012, 12:25 AM
h0ffers
Amateur

yea, i just read all of bleekers stuff, just commented on it even, but he has a lot fairly serious upgrades and some how is getting 93 octane. i gotta find me some :/

Old 05-17-2012, 02:16 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

I too run the 91 tune on 93 octane. That was the best combo to me, it drinks sooooo much gas on the 93 with 93 it's not funny but the way I run it now is the best power and mpg of all the combos I've tried.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:18 AM
h0ffers
Amateur

my next question is has anyone used 93 on the 87? what were the results of that?

Old 05-17-2012, 08:04 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
Those are gains over a stock engine. Apparently once you start upgrading things the tuner will actually make a pretty big impact.

HP gains are kinda meh, but 20lbs of torque aint bad, especially for a truck
beekers setup was not stock .... he had a lot of bolt ons added... your right though that it seems to make a bigger difference for some than others depending on mods.... Those people just never seem to get any dyno results to show the numbers...
EDIT just saw your later post and see you already discovered this.... I wouldnt use just beekers experience as I'm sure it does do more in some setups depending on other factors... but it does an a little reality to all the sct hype... tuners are no replacement for actual hardware improvements in many cases.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 05-17-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:07 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion

Originally Posted by h0ffers
my next question is has anyone used 93 on the 87? what were the results of that?
it wouldnt have any benefit.... the octane alone has no advantage over 87 gas unless you advance the timing higher than what would be programmed or set for 87 or increase the compression ratio...since the 87 tune does neither of those things putting any higher than 87 octane fuel in it would literally be burning up extra money...
the sct tunes are NOT for gas mileage... those that say they have much more power and gasmileage are fooling themselve and I've yet to see any proof of this yet... like most of the bolt ons it will usually cause the truck to use more gas with additional airflow for power...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 05-17-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM
h0ffers
Amateur

alright, well with all of this formation, sounds like 91 is better anyways. especially if you guys cant feel a diference between 91 and 93 tune

Old 05-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
beekers setup was not stock .... he had a lot of bolt ons added... your right though that it seems to make a bigger difference for some than others depending on mods.... Those people just never seem to get any dyno results to show the numbers...
EDIT just saw your later post and see you already discovered this.... I wouldnt use just beekers experience as I'm sure it does do more in some setups depending on other factors... but it does an a little reality to all the sct hype... tuners are no replacement for actual hardware improvements in many cases.
I couldn't tell if his setup was stock or not. I just kinda assumed it was.

You are absolutely correct that Tuners are no replacement for hardware. They're neat though, and really easy

Quick Reply: 92 octane on the 93 sct tune