2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

IAC issues, maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:46 AM
bekins01ram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
idle problems are usually either IAC or TPS. my experience has been that surging idle is TPS. inability to idle is IAC.

i keep any known good sensors as spares, in order to toss in a new one without any cost
Thanks for that info. Suppose I'll just try a TPS, and see what happens. oreillys has one, BWD brand for 36.99 on their website, and I dont mind putting new sensors on, being the truck has 135k on it, with all original sensors to my knowledge. Suppose it's just that time, where things start to wear out. If that doesn't fix it, i'll go back to swapping the IAC for another. It idles just fine, when it's not stuck at 1k rpms.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:25 AM
bekins01ram
Veteran

alright, time to bring this thread back...well, bought the BWD sensor (borg warner or something like that brand. The more expensive one they offered at oreillys), and got it switched out. Truck starts, seems to idle fine, revs up fine, drove around the block fine, isn't doing the stuck at 1100 rpms thing it was doing; but it threw a p0122 code. As soon as I started the truck, the code came up. Code reader says it's TPS sensor low voltage. And I did have the battery unhooked while installing.

Went to oreilly's and swapped the sensor for another, same brand, hoping it was a faulty one, and got it installed tonight, in the rain, since I have to work tomorrow, and need my truck. I haven't started it, due to a young'n sleeping in the room nearest my loud a$$ truck, but I turned the battery on, and the CEL was still there. I never did clear the code though after the first sensor. I figured having the battery unhooked during dinner/ part swapping, and running around town for about 4 hours would clear it. So, 2nd new sensor, and turn the key to on position, the little engine light went off for about half a second, then came back on. Code reader says same code, and the torque app on my phone isn't picking up the throttle position %.

I have a multimeter at work, if that is of use, but any ideas on how to chase this problem down?? Do I need to go to the dealer for a mopar TPS?? Hate to see how much they're asking for one. It seemed to fix the weird revving issue, and the truck drives just fine, but I'm not sure what'll happen tomorrow morning when I try to drive to work. Suppose I'm gonna find out though. Just having the CEL drives me nuts.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:57 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

clear the code by disconnecting battery, and turning headlights on for 30 seconds. this drains the memory in the pcm and clears all codes.

its possible that the first TPS was bad. clear the pcm and try the second one. if it does the same thing, you might have a broken wire in the plug or harness.

its unlikely that you must have a mopar brand TPS. they're pretty expensive at about $80.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:53 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

Update: Well it boils down to installer error, so it seems. I must have incorrectly remembered how the old TPS spun as it came off, and installed the new ones with the throttle blade on the wrong side of the pintle dealies inside the TPS. Weird it throws a low voltage code, but w/e. I read thru the instructions with the TPS, about 5 times over again, although I read them a good 3 times before installing, and notice that it says the TPS should have "slight" pressure against the throttle blade when you rotate it, to the installation position. It had quite a bit of pressure the way I did it the first time, so I figured, wth, and took it off, turned the TPS, so it would rotate the opposite direction to get the screw holes lined up, and noticed the "slight" pressure as mentioned in directions.

Turn the battery on, still shows the code. Connect with the torque app and OBD adapter, and hit clear codes, and off the light went. The app wouldn't clear the code, when I had it installed wrong. Started the truck up, and it idled much better, and revved up quicker, and the app was showing the throttle position at 14.5% at idle. It was hesitating, and trying to stall, when I hit the gas, the way I had it installed the first time. Actually died, when backing out of my parking spot after work today. Smacking myself in the forehead for this one....just figured I'd tell the results of this fiasco in case anyone else finds themselves having issues with a TPS install (as basic as it is, lol) Operator error, for sure. I blame my lack of short-term memory. :-P

Now, back to the cause of replacing sensors (TPS and IAC), I'm hoping it'll cure the surging in the mornings, and randomly at red lights. Saying a prayer, or I'm back to square one.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:22 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

lol, glad it was an easy fix. low voltage code is probably a recognition of zero percent throttle at idle, which is unexpected. it was looking for the 14% type of number.

i fought a surging cold idle for a long time, trying to blame it on IAC and replaced it several times. never had a code. finally one day just on a whim i replaced TPS and it fixed it.

Quick Reply: IAC issues, maybe?