2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Unexpected HUGE fuel economy gain.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 05:59 PM
RageGuy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vajazzle
RageGuy, you have a 5.9L and you are getting 500K out of a tank of gas, the equivalent of roughly 341 miles?! Do you do mostly highway driving? I have a 5.9L and the other day I got record mileage out of a full tank which was 290.5 miles. I usually average around 260 miles to a full tank, which is about 11 mpg. I have a CAI with a clean filter and I never stomp on the gas or anything really. I usually drive 12 miles to work and back averaging 40-55 mph. Does anyone else get this bad of fuel mileage or is this something I need to change on my truck that is killing the gas mileage? By the way, I always fill up with unleaded 89 (not sure of the ethanol content) and lately I've been adding in fuel injector cleaner in every tank.
Nope, stop and go city driving, i generally pussyfoot it though, very rarely does my truck go WOT.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:03 PM
plott hound
Professional

my 5.2 gives me roughly 800 km out of a tank.highway driving in the summer usually yeilds a little better.winter driving always less.ive got a big *** fuel tank though,must be 130 liters.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:47 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

cb performance did an article on this when building a mileage motor for an AC beetle... They found that one particular chain in Texas where they were testing, netted almost 5mpg more than the others consistently and when poured into a glass it was even a different color than the others... this was actually before the ethanol push...

Old 05-28-2012, 05:51 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RageGuy
Nope, stop and go city driving, i generally pussyfoot it though, very rarely does my truck go WOT.
The fuel injector cleaner will actually hurt MPG performance while using it since it dillutes the gas.... I net between 275 and 300 miles per tank it seems now and this is the best I've seen with my 35" mud tires and 4.56 gears...

octane shouldnt do anything special in a vehicle designed and running properly on 87.....if you have pinging yes it can help but otherwise?

Also keep in mind some places might still have been dumping the last of the winter blend fuels which net poor gas mileage...the those of you transitioning to the summer blend should see an improvement.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

running the higher octane fuel will hurt your peak hp slightly. but it will also help keep your injectors cleaner. higher octane has a higher boiling point, so when you shut your engine off it wont boil inside your injectors and lines leaving residue. it is also slower burning which means you might see a power decrease on the dyno but nothing too noticeable unless you have a smaller engine. My S-10 hates premium fuel. I ran premium a couple tanks back to back to clean up the injector, and the damn thing almost didn't start on a cold day...took like 3 minutes to get it started. on 87 octane it fires up in 5 seconds ice cold.

as for alcohol in the fuel, ethanol definitely hurts fuel economy. methanol does do. In the winter time they put a lot of methanol in our diesel fuel to keep the fuel from gelling up when it gets cold, and it drops our fuel economy by a good 2-5mpg.

gasoline is same way, more alcohol = less energy in the fuel. less energy = lower MPG's

Old 05-28-2012, 08:32 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i seem to have gained 2mpg since i changed my spark plugs 2 weeks ago. i wonder what i will get once i finish a complete tune up?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:18 PM
EFS463
Professional

Originally Posted by Relex
As far as I know Sheetz is just a Pennsylvania thing. A couple guys at work claim sheetz gas has a lot of ethanol in it. Another friend of mine switched gas in his golf and says his gas mileage went up 6mpg.

I've been using sheetz gas since I've been 16 (now 24) and wished i would have switched sooner.
Sheetz aint just a pa thing! we got em right next door to you here in MD, they have some kick *** cold cuts but their gas sucks!

Old 05-29-2012, 01:22 AM
Johnny2Bad
Professional

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
The fuel injector cleaner will actually hurt MPG performance while using it since it dillutes the gas.... I net between 275 and 300 miles per tank it seems now and this is the best I've seen with my 35" mud tires and 4.56 gears...

octane shouldnt do anything special in a vehicle designed and running properly on 87.....if you have pinging yes it can help but otherwise?

Also keep in mind some places might still have been dumping the last of the winter blend fuels which net poor gas mileage...the those of you transitioning to the summer blend should see an improvement.
I don't have solid data on the Ram yet ... still burning the last tank of winter gas right now ... but I saw 3 mpg improvement on my first tank of summer gas on the PT Cruiser, with a second tank as backup.

Quick Reply: Unexpected HUGE fuel economy gain.