2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2500 front end

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
3dubs
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500 front end

I just picked up a a 2001 2500 4x4 diesel with 350,000 miles. It runs great but the front end needed an alignment. I left the shop with them saying the wheels are aligned but they could not get the steering wheel straight and it pulls because they think it is because of the uneven tires. I have my guesses but thought I would throw it up to see what people think that have been through this. I can take it back and have them do it again at no charge within a few months so I need to find the problem. (I did try the search but I never know what to search for)

If you know someone in the Houston area that knows their stuff I don't mind paying a couple bucks for someone to look at it.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:14 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The pull could be many things, but as far as making the wheel straight, that should be easy for them. The drag link sleeve needs to be adjusted.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:38 PM
3dubs
Rookie

Sorry, I forgot to say the guy spent about 45 minutes adjusting the drag link and could never get to go straight. Which makes me think the steering box but it does not seem to have the wheel play. So I am very confused.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:58 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why it's pulling needs to be corrected before making the wheel straight. All I was saying is that's the easy part. One thing to check is the caliper on the side it's pulling. I'd also swap the wheels in the front and see if if the pull changes. That way you'll know if what they said about uneven tires holds water.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:05 PM
3dubs
Rookie

All four tires need to be replaced so I will replace them. It was pulling to the left then after they adjusted it it is pulling to the left. I went out and looked at the computer and what he was doing. I did not think he was the best mechanic but should have been able to get it aligned. I wish I knew a good Dodge guy and I could just go over at closing time with a twelve pack. I guess if it does it after the tires I will just change the steering box. Then I don't know if that does not work.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Vollumscope
Default RAM 2500 pulling to one side

I'm going to assume that the camber on each side is correct and no other front end damage is present.

It's easy to get the front axle cocked to one side or the other. This will cause the truck to pull to one side. If your RAM is like mine-- mine's a '97 2500 5.9L V8 the front beam axle has adjustments at each side of the axle to adjust the caster at each wheel. If the adjustments are disturbed the axle can wind up "tilted" and therefore the truck won't steer straight.

It's absolutely imperative to be certain that the front axle measures equal distance from some set point on the truck frame on both sides/ends-- to be certain that the axle is square to the drive line. Sometimes the caster angle has to be compromised in order to accomplish this.

Many front end shops put the truck on an alignment machine which can't take into account that the beam axle can get cocked off angle. The alignment machine will indicate that the front end is properly adjusted but
when you put the truck on the road it won't steer straight.

You should check to be certain that the front axle is properly positioned.

OK, so there are my 2-cents.

Vollumscope

Old 06-01-2012, 02:18 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone know what the reference points are for squaring up the axle? On the frame?

Quick Reply: 2500 front end