2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 Ram 2500 pulling left when braking

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:57 PM
BigBertha96
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Ram 2500 pulling left when braking

New on here, hoping to figure out my problem. Got a 96 Ram 2500 reg. cab 8800GVW with a 5.9L gas engine. My problem is truck is pulling left when braking. Family friend and I have turned the rotors and replaced pads in the front and replaced the shoes and seals in the rear. Before the rotors were scored and rear driver side was leaking fluid. We're thinking the brake lines looked like they might be in bad shape so we're going to replace those as well as the brake hoses. We're hoping this is the issue. My question is are we thinking correctly or are we getting it wrong?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you had a stuck caliper it will probably just stick again.

If you had a bad pad/rotor you should fixed the problem.

Check your entire front suspension, jack the front of the truck up and lay user while somebody works the steering wheel, look for any play at all.

I had ball joints that made drag, but they both were entirely ruste up.

Oh yeah make sure your tire pressures are correct, a low tire will make you drift

Old 06-05-2012, 07:56 PM
BigBertha96

Calipers are good, even cleaned them for good measure, and tire pressure is even on all 4 tires. My friend even drove it on the highway before and after doing the brakes with no problems, no abnormal noises, etc. Just still having that pulling to the left when braking. I'm not sure what else other than replacing the brake lines and hoses...

Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i would replace the hoses, but not the hard lines unless they're very rusty or something. hard lines are either good (no leak) or bad (leak). i would flush the brake fluid via an extended brake bleed.

brake hoses can lose pressure by swelling, or inhibit flow by being all broken up inside.

also check your slide pins for no bind, smooth slide, greased.

if the problem continues with new hoses, new pads, turned rotors, and good hardware, then replace or rebuild calipers. its all that's left.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 PM
BigBertha96

We're going to work on replacing the hoses and the lines are pretty rusty so we're going to replace those as well. Will give an update when we finish.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:01 PM
BigBertha96

That was the problem. We replaced the hoses and lines all in the front and truck now goes straight and true. Thanks

Quick Reply: 96 Ram 2500 pulling left when braking