2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CNG Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 12:17 AM
moparplowjockey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CNG Conversion

Has anyone on here converted their truck to run on CNG? If so how hard was it, what did it cost to convert, and where did you get your kit? Also did you MPG's go up. Natural gas is very low and I was just curious if anyone had converted.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:37 AM
rumble_truck
Veteran

Some guy around here did that to his truck, i believe he also supercharged it. From what i remember he had alot of issues with it cracking sleeves and such. cant remember his name though =/

Old 06-28-2012, 11:41 AM
moparplowjockey

My guess is his problems were from supercharging not the CNG conversion. I am no expert by any means but I would think CNG would create a stronger combustion than gas thus coupled with the supercharging cracking sleeves. Just my opinion.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:29 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There were factory CNG trucks right from dodge. A propane conversion would be cheaper to do if you can find good used parts.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:09 PM
rumble_truck
Veteran

Originally Posted by moparplowjockey
My guess is his problems were from supercharging not the CNG conversion. I am no expert by any means but I would think CNG would create a stronger combustion than gas thus coupled with the supercharging cracking sleeves. Just my opinion.
I would personally think it would help with the cng, if he didnt run an intercooler. Compression from the supercharger will warm the air which is gonna be super cold after the expansion of the cng. Hotter burning + frigid injection temps has got to take its toll on the motor expansion/contraction wise.

Quick Reply: CNG Conversion