2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cranks fine, hard start

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Moochoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cranks fine, hard start

Hey guys,
I haven't had Internet for a while, but for those of you who followed my low oil pressure issues a while ago- its been about 1k miles running 10psi at operating temp.

Anyways, while I'm waiting for the motor to grenade, im currently looking to solve my hard starting issue before I drop my reman in. It does the whole crank forever and fires when you let off or right away on the second try. So after searching as much as i can stand from my phone, I pointed a finger at the fuel pump regulator. Well I went out and bought a fuel gauge/hose and found the pressure was holding steady around 45psi after it starts. How long is the fuel rail suppose to hold pressure? Mine holds for about 60 seconds and drops to around 2psi after shutting her back down. It's hard to get reliable numbers while cranking due to me being a one man show lol

Any help here guys?

Thanks! Jake

Old 08-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

What a PITA trying to get all this onto the forum from a phone!!!

Anyway, here's the truck cranking after I just shut it down a few minutes prior. It fired right up (usually does alright if it hasn been sitting too long)

It shoots right up (which it seems to creep up when it has a true cold start) and the psi seems to bleed quickly to me? Don't mind my dog barking at me from her kennel...

Old 08-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a bad FPR to me. Not sure on the exact pressure drop allowed, but going down to 2psi 60 seconds after shutoff is definitely much too fast.

I think it should still hold at least 25psi even after 10 or 15 minutes...something like that. I'll see if I can find it in the Hanes manual, or maybe someone else knows it off the top of their head.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

FRP- fuel rail p?... Is there supposed to be a checkvalve in the rail?

Excuse the ignorance... Im only familiar the cummins/ high pressure injection pumps and skipped the fuel lessons on gassers

Old 08-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

I said F.P.R.---> fuel pressure regulator.

Just read the factory service manual; Pressure should not fall below 30psi for 5 minutes.
If this occurs, leaky injector(s), fuel line, or check valve (FPR), is at fault.

You don't smell fuel do you? That would eliminate pinholes in the fuel lines, and injector o-rings.

Last edited by Matt Nickerson; 08-03-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

Originally Posted by Matt Nickerson
I said F.P.R.---> fuel pressure regulator.

Just read the factory service manual; Pressure should not fall below 30psi for 5 minutes.
If this occurs, leaky injector(s), fuel line, or check valve (FPR), is at fault.

You don't smell fuel do you? That would eliminate pinholes in the fuel lines, and injector o-rings.
Sorry bout that!

Thanks for finding the pressure drop, is there a way to eliminate an injector vs check valve without lifting the bed?

Its tough to tell if I actually have a small fuel leak on an injector o-ring due to the plenum being completely shot. It doesnt smell like its burning rich on start up back at the tail pipe

Old 08-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

If you haven't already, download the 2001 factory service manual off this forum and read section 14-3...the exact procedure for specifically determining whether its a leaky injector/fuel rail vs the check valve (aka fuel pressure reg) is in that section.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Moochoff
Veteran

Awesome! Thanks again

Quick Reply: Cranks fine, hard start