2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck died then won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:35 PM
SteelNation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck died then won't start

I was driving on the highway and the truck was running smoothly, but it was late shifting into 4th gear. Rather than let it redline i let off the gas to let it shift, but it never did. My truck was still running but when I put my foot back on the gas pedal nothing happened. I coasted to a stop and pulled over to the side of the road. As soon as i came to a complete stop the engine died, no sputtering or anything else; just like I had turned it off.

Now i get a crank but no start. There are no DTC's. I have not had a chance to have it towed home yet so I have not checked for spark or fuel pressure, but I do hear the sound from the fuel pump when I turn the ignition on. I was just wondering if anyone had anything for me to consider while I am waiting.

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:41 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No spark then it seems. Check all electrical connections at the battery, fuse box next to it, the alternator block & starter. Also check connections for the coil, the frame to it could be rusty & may need to get wire brushed clean where it mounts behind the belt tensioner. If there are no code reading at all & all connections are good, you may need the control module replaced.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:09 PM
SteelNation
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. It turned out to be really simple. The butterfly clip the connects the wire to the ignition coil broke and the wire rattled loose.

Quick Reply: Truck died then won't start