2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help With Tranny Cooler Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 03:06 AM
Racinfan83
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Tranny Cooler Install

I bought a Flexalite tranny cooler for my '01 Ram. After reading some of the forums, I decided the best way to plumb it in is from the return port in the radiator to the cooler, and back to the hard return line. I have powertrain warranty left - so I can't just bypass the stock radiator unit. Here's the problem: the fittings that came with the cooler won't fit on either the upper radiator fitting or the hard return line. Went to O'Reillys and Lowe's and couldn't get one to work. Does any one know what size 3/8 hose x ? fittings I need ( 1 male 1 female) and where can I find them???

Old 08-27-2005, 03:23 AM
BIGSEXY
Professional
Default RE: Need Help With Tranny Cooler Install

Bypassing the rad is the only way to go.Thats where the trouble is.If something should happen before warrenty is up change it back.Rad gets clogged to easy.....I learned the hard way.

Old 08-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pep Boys and Napa sell a Trans Line Fitting kit made by Hayden (mine was part number 396). It allows you to unhook the stock hard trans lines that connect at the radiator, and connect the soft lines that come with the aftermarket cooler. Here is how I did my install, and have never had any problems at all. Trans runs much cooler with my Flex-a-lite. I can take some pics if you want, but if you search on this forum, I have posted a lot of info about tranmission cooler installs, with pics.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9095/4944967BC6AC406CBE20F84EF0A70F3B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-28-2005, 03:05 AM
Ramtuff
Veteran

Relying on a high pressure fitting on your tranny cooler set-up is dumb in my opinion. I cut the ends off and then double flared the hard lines (tranny side and radiator side), plumbed everything up with normal tranny hose, and tightened it all down with hose clamps.

Old 08-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

OK Guys, I got it done. The manager at Auto Zone had a suggestion that worked well. I cut the hard return line roughly in half between the top radiator fitting and the rubber part of the line - where the quick disconnect is. I used a tubing bender to bend each end of the line forward, ( so it didn't kink) and flared the cut ends to hold the hose better. The lines run through the rubber flap next to the radiator and right to the cooler. The beauty of this is that I can take my little quick disconnect tool to the salvage yard and get another hard line - so if I want to go back to stock it only requires a 11/16 wrench and the quick disconnect tool! This way, I believe, is better any way because I didn't have to cut the stock rubber line. I can put the short piece of steel line right back in if I want - and the radiator in a salvage truck can be crunched and I can still use the tranny line if it's not bent! Silver - you were right about the Hayden Fitting kit part number "396", the problem was that NOBODY around here has one. Kinda weird considering the freakin truck was made 30 miles from my house!

Quick Reply: Need Help With Tranny Cooler Install