2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Kid Same Questions on a 318

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 06:18 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: New Kid Same Questions on a 318

ORIGINAL: Racinfan83

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

Welcome to DF...

everything Tani mentioned is good... the only thing that stands out that you mentioned as a no-no is the true duals... if done wrong. with your truck being a 4x4 CC... it's real easy to send your fuel economy down the tubes... I put on a dual out flowmaster and watched my mpg drop 1.5 mpg... 3" in dual 2.5" out. I reduced the 2.5"s down to dual 2.25"s and brought back a ton of low end torque that was lost. my mpg came back as well. So keep this in mind when choosing your exhaust setup.

post some pics of your ride so we can all see...!
Steve, I am curious......I have a '01 with the 5.2 instead of your 5.9. I have had a cat-back system since 3000 miles with a Ravin 3" in 2.5" dual out setup. It is obnoxiously loud...(cool) but reading your post got me wondering if I need to go down to 2.25 in pipes to help improve my mileage. What is the reasoning behind the torque improvement ? Will it help a 5.2?
Yes it will help with fuel economy. I'm not sure how the back pressure helps to build torque, I just know from experience that it does and when there is more low end torque, mpg goes up. test it yourself... fill up and drive a 50 mile loop and measure your mpg, then mod the exhaust and go on the same loop. you'll see the mpg go up. and I wouldnt be supprised to hear that you scratched your tires on the way out... thats what happened to me...

I should also add that you can do the same thing with the intake side of the motor. I have 2 filters for my truck, both K&N's 1 is the stock filter that came with the FIPK II kit and the other is one that I bought from summit (7x9" round). with the big filter, my low end goes down a bit (butt dyno can tell) and the top end goes up. easy to tell. with the small original filter, the low end goes up and the top end goes down.

I think the key is to find what makes you happy. I try to get the best performance all around... fuel economy, low end and high end.

Quick Reply: New Kid Same Questions on a 318