2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shifting or Overdrive problem 1996 5.9 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:54 PM
diverjer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting or Overdrive problem 1996 5.9 Ram

I now have my second Dodge ever, the last one was a 1957 Dodge with a push button transmission, great car ran like a tank.

Now I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with 5.9 automatic. Bought used with 167,000 miles. Looks good, no rust and sounds good, for the most part drives good. BTW it is a sport model which I doubt makes any difference.

Was doing a test drive tonight after changing oil and filter. I was trying to feel how many times it shifted, believe it is a 3 speed and 4th is OD? Anyway, OD light was not on and I feel certain I was doing 55mph and the tach was at 1500. I pushed in the OD button, the OD light came on and didn't notice a difference in shifting or tach RPM. I stopped and took off and it seemed to be just a little faster tach (maybe 2000) at 55 mph. I thought it should be more RPM difference. After a stop sign I pressed the OD button and the light went off (which I think means I am in OD). Now at 55 MPH I am doing 3000 RPM!!! No matter what I do with the OD button, on or off, I am now doing 3000 rpm at 55 MPH.

Any ideas, I know there are some sensors for heat, but the OD lights does work and it is not on. Actually what I understand is when the light is on, the OD (no fourth) is off and you only have 3 speeds. Also I hooked up code reader and didn't get any error codes.

Quick Reply: Shifting or Overdrive problem 1996 5.9 Ram