2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 Ram 3500 New Owner - Busted Dash NEED HELP & ADVICE

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 02:54 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Its not easy to replace. And there is also another company starts with an S and I'll be damned if I can remember the name. GDstock knows.

I got mine form HERE. At that time, I had not seen a good write up or someone here that had installed LMC dash. I believe that LMS is a little cheaper than Sandkin Insutries which is $289.00.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:57 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thank You GD.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:26 PM
redfarmer84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So which would you think is the best product?? Are you saying that the LMC dashes are hard to put in, or not the greatest? This is a 3500 dually that we are using to pull tractors with. We just want it to look nice and not be broken. Also....if it is possible we are wanting to install an indash stereo with the touch screen Navigation for long trips. I say if possible because it doesn't look like there is much room for installing one with the vents right there above the radio. haha. I'd hate to buy a $150 dash bezel just to cut it up to make the radio fit.....BUT my current dash bezel has a huge chunk missing out of it on top plus a couple cracks.

Originally Posted by gdstock
I got mine form HERE. At that time, I had not seen a good write up or someone here that had installed LMC dash. I believe that LMS is a little cheaper than Sandkin Insutries which is $289.00.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:31 PM
gdstock
Legend

The Sandkin and LMC are both good units. I think LMC is a little cheaper. The Sandkin only comes in black so you may have to paint as I did mine. There is a DIY thread that illustrates how to install it. The pop up screen will open up in front of vents, but not much way around it unless you find one that swings down. I have seen a couple of these and they are not bad. Got to have the single DIN unit.

When i did mine, there was not a good recommendatin on the LMC. Since then severeal members installed them and are well satisfied with them. I just wasn't ready to do the beta testing...

Old 10-09-2012, 03:34 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Does not matter which brand replacement dash you get. They are both good, price is the only difference. They are simply not easy to install. As far as the bezel goes, that just snaps on and off.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 PM
redfarmer84
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all so much for the input and recommendation on getting the dash fixed. I will probably just go with the LMC since it will be a "work truck". It is the base model anyways so it don't have any frills other than the vinyl seats and vinyl floor!! haha. Sounds like the dash will be somehting for my local shade tree mechanic to install for me. I'm sure he's good at that stuff.

As far as the navigation/radio goes. I see you state that it HAS TO BE single DIN. Will a Double Din not work even if you trim the front bezel?? I really like my double DIN touch screen in my Ford mainly because there aren't any moving parts to break....and lets be honest....when I'm not using the truck, my rough grandpa will break that flip-up single DIN in half the first time he uses it! haha.

Originally Posted by gdstock
The Sandkin and LMC are both good units. I think LMC is a little cheaper. The Sandkin only comes in black so you may have to paint as I did mine. There is a DIY thread that illustrates how to install it. The pop up screen will open up in front of vents, but not much way around it unless you find one that swings down. I have seen a couple of these and they are not bad. Got to have the single DIN unit.

When i did mine, there was not a good recommendatin on the LMC. Since then severeal members installed them and are well satisfied with them. I just wasn't ready to do the beta testing...

Old 10-09-2012, 05:53 PM
gdstock
Legend

Check with manufacturer and see if it will fit. I'm not a radio experrt, but I installed a single DIN aftermarket stereo in mine. The opening is bigger, but I don't know if is is double DIN size.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ram 3500 New Owner - Busted Dash NEED HELP & ADVICE