2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Three problems, in need of some insight...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 05:47 PM
msmith5150
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three problems, in need of some insight...

Hi folks!

I am the proud owner of an '01 Ram SLT Laramie 4x4. Has pretty much all the bells and whistles you could have gotten for it from the factory. I am having three problems with it though that I am fairly certain are common issues. I did some searching here but I must not have done a very good job of it, so here goes

1) Heated seats. Passenger side works fine, driver's does not. When I hit the switch the little light flashes. I know this indicates a problem, but I don't know what that could be. Is there a common cause I should start with?

2) Heated mirrors. Passenger side works, driver's does not. Is this usually the element on the back of the mirror?

3) Steering wheel audio controls. All function well except on the right control for the volume up/down. Many times when I push the switch down for "volume down" it changes the radio station instead. When I press it again, it works correctly. Ideas on this one?

Any and all help is appreciated. If I missed any easy existing threads I apologize in advance.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have your first problem also. I would love to fix but i have no idea. I'm just tired of my butt being cold while my passengers isn't

Old 10-15-2012, 08:05 PM
msmith5150
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
I have your first problem also. I would love to fix but i have no idea. I'm just tired of my butt being cold while my passengers isn't
I know it's horrible! They point and laugh and say "look at the guy with the cold butt!" and that guy is me

Old 10-15-2012, 11:45 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All problems appear to be electrical...

Do you have the service manual form the FAQ/DIY section? If not, download it. Schematics in section 8W.

Check the grounds. For the mirros, yhou will have to pop off the interior door panel, which according to Murphy's Law, you need to have new panel clips from auto parts store on had. Plan on 8 to 10 of them. About $5. Check that the connector is fully engaged. Measure for voltage in the appropriate pins per schematic. Follow simila procedure for butt warmer and audio controls. Mine does not have the BW or radio controls so I don;t know what the most likely failure would be.

Quick Reply: Three problems, in need of some insight...