2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

IAC bad??? No O2's at all!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Randy Curran
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAC bad??? No O2's at all!!!

OK, last week the truck wouldn't start and I was told to clean the IAC(thanks everyone!) and it worked great! Last Thursday I was pulling our band trailer(www.randyandthefinks.com cheap promo!) and when backing it up it stalled. I have an auto so that was odd.

It started up fine and then I went to drop my kids lunch off at his school and when I came out to fire it up, it wouldn't. Same thing as before. So I thought maybe an 02 sensor. I looked under it and neither are there. Just wires. Somebody hacked into the exhaust with flexpipe and some great bends.

Soooooo..... It's run fine all summer/early fall so if I put a new IAC in would that help???

And yes I realize that no o2's are bad but I'm broke and just want to get it going again.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:05 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the IAC's job is to 1) allow air to bypass the closed throttle plate and 2) control idle engine speed by adjusting the size of the bypass opening.

when it won't start, try mashing the gas pedal about 1/4 to open the closed throttle plate. if this helps, it confirms IAC is bad and needs replacing.

i assume that with no O2 sensors, you have a check engine light constantly on. it will run ok like that, but cannot go into closed loop, gas saving mode. your gas mileage is probably a little worse than it could be.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Randy Curran
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last week I could keep it running by playing with the pedal but not now. I'm thinking the IAC is dead.