2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram Sport 5.9L 360 gas O/D not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 06:48 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check to make sure your 3-4 accumulater spring is in tact.... had the same issue with my durango... the spring was still the OEM one and snapped in half when i pulled the plate off...

Old 10-21-2012, 10:28 PM
DrPain80
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok guys, I've taken the tranny pan off and replaced the fluid and filter. It looks to me like it does have solenoids but, the front side of the solenoid there is a arm that's got some bolt on one side and the other side is sitting on a spring from my guess... I think that spring should be tight and have some resistance against it Bt really it doesn't.. I took a picture of the passenger side of the tranny with the pan off if I can figure out how to load it... I'm no tranny mechanic by no means and this is honestly the first for me... They told me I needed ATF +4 at the local O'rielly's... So that's what I got and put in it btw... Any ideas?

Old 10-21-2012, 10:48 PM
DrPain80

Ok, well it won't let me upload the picture from my iPhone... But I really do want to say I appreciate everyones help.. Thank you.. I'm continuing to try n figure this issue out if there are any ideas on how to fix my o/d issue...

Old 10-22-2012, 01:23 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What kind of phone are you using? www.photobucket.com has an app for smart phones (I haven't used it yet). Start a free account at potobucket, upload photos. below the photo there will be an "IMG" (Image) tag. Click on it automatically copies the tag. Paste that tag into post, photo will load.

It is difficult to know what you got going on without photos. See if that works. (some of us have been into these trannys more than one would like....)

With OD functioning, you should see 2200-2400 rpm at 70mph.

Last edited by gdstock; 10-23-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:20 PM
DrPain80

Here is the picture... I'm using a iPhone 4 btw... And the spring that I'm talking about is on the right... It looks like a rocker arm on the spring and like I said previously, it's super easy to push up.. Thank you...

Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 AM
DrPain80

Well, I've eleminated the option of it being the accumalater spring, it's in tact and in its housing safely... I guess now its time to check solenoids... But I don't have any error codes for it... And wow, expensive too!! Lol

Old 10-23-2012, 02:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ost of solenoids varies. Checdk HERE. I have bought several items form them.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:07 AM
DrPain80

Ok. Thank you. So, another question... Does cruise control and O/D work together or something? Bc my cruise controls not working and I can't find a fuse or anything for it and I think I'm going to have to mess with linkage too bc it sometimes goes into second gear while the shifter says its in drive... Any thoughts on these?

Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 AM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrPain80
Ok. Thank you. So, another question... Does cruise control and O/D work together or something? Bc my cruise controls not working and I can't find a fuse or anything for it and I think I'm going to have to mess with linkage too bc it sometimes goes into second gear while the shifter says its in drive... Any thoughts on these?
First thing, WHOA boy... O/D will work regardless of cruise control. Also, remember, that when it is in Drive, it can shift through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (4th provided that the O/D off switch is not on). It should start in 1st as far as I know.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:39 PM
DrPain80

Well my problem with linkage that I think I have is that it seems if you put it in drive, if it's to far down and the shifter is closer to 2nd then it won't shift out of second until it's bumped a lil and u can hear that it seems it's in drive then and no problems at all. I know this truck has tons of problems... And I'm very much aware that I'm no where close to being a mechanic. I guess I'm just going to have to take her to a real mechanic and get her fixed right. Thanks everyone

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport 5.9L 360 gas O/D not working