2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turning radius

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:07 PM
bruceb1948
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Turning radius

My Brother was killed in March and he left me a 1997 Dodge SWB single cab with 318 motor. It had been in a collision on right side and all repairs done including replaceing the pitman arm. Now not knowing what he did in the replacement, it turns real short to the right and takes forever to the left. I am wondering if I remove the pitman arm with the wheels straight and turn the steering wheel all the way one direction and then count the turns all the way to the other, then turning it back half the the turns and reinstalling the pitman arm it that will cure the problem.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:21 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry about your brother.
welcome to df.

before doing anything drastic, jack up the front and do your full left and fill right test and count the turns and see where the wheels go. also check where the spindle/knuckle thing stops, and what it stops on. some have adjustable stops. also check for bent tie rod or other malfunction that lets its go further one way than the other.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry about your brother. I know that can be tough.

I think the pitman arm is keyed to go on one way. May be at steering shaft to gearbox...but don't just disconnet and turn the wheel.

Go to the FAQ/DIY section here on DF and scroll down for the service manual closest to your year model and download it. See what it says about steering. Let us know what you find. Someone else that may know more on this may post up soon.

(see what I get for answering the ohone before hitting "submit"...dhvaughn posts up first! )

Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
but don't just disconnet and turn the wheel.

(see what I get for answering the ohone before hitting "submit"...dhvaughn posts up first! )
i think overturning the steering wheel will break the clock spring, which will add to your problems.

got to be quick man.

Quick Reply: Turning radius