2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Can you remove front axle pinion and leave the rest in place and drive the truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 AM
creepingdeath94
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you remove front axle pinion and leave the rest in place and drive the truck?

Hello everyone, I'm a new member on this forum but have done some searches and can't really find an answer to what I'm looking for here. Anyway, I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4...originally equipped with the 5.9 motor. I have something in the front end locking up and trying to grind the truck to a halt. The front pinion nut is a bit loose and has play and moves around a bit. Obviously this is a problem, though I am not sure if it alone would be enough to lock up the front diff. I suspect the bearing is toast and trying to grind it to a stop.

Long story short here, I am moving soon and can't seem to find a trailer large enough to put this thing on by me. My question is can I remove the front pinion altogether and leave the carrier and axles in place be able to drive the truck? I'm not familiar with the design of dana 44 diffs. or any really to know if this is possible. I will obviously be repairing it when I get to where I'm moving to but can't afford the time or money right now to do a full front end rebuild until after I move.

I also was wondering if it could be a wheel bearing? It will roll a bit than catch on something...its not always either...it is getting worse of course though but its not like it just constantly drags. It is notchy and ratchety at the moment.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't drive it that way. Sounds like pinion bearings are shot. Go ahead and pull the front driveshaft and pinion before you tear up the ring and pinion, if you haven't already. Could be more than one thing, Check your front u-joints. If they're bad, you can just pull the axles and remove them till your able to replace them. Perfectly driveable without the front axles or pinion in place although it may leak a little diff. oil. If you have the time, just pull the diff. cover and remove the diff. That will take care of that leaky oil problem.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Arde
All Star

To clarify a bit, you can drive it with the pinion removed. To remove it you'll have to remove the axles and diff. anyway. You can leave it all out until you're ready to rebuild. Pull the axles and disconnect the u-joints from the stub shafts and reinstall the hub assembly.
I personally wouldn't drive it with a loose pinion nut. Been there , done that, pinion nut unscrewed itself, ring gear pulled the pinion inside and pretty well tore things up.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:51 PM
creepingdeath94

Originally Posted by Arde
To clarify a bit, you can drive it with the pinion removed. To remove it you'll have to remove the axles and diff. anyway. You can leave it all out until you're ready to rebuild. Pull the axles and disconnect the u-joints from the stub shafts and reinstall the hub assembly.
I personally wouldn't drive it with a loose pinion nut. Been there , done that, pinion nut unscrewed itself, ring gear pulled the pinion inside and pretty well tore things up.

Thanks for that quick response. I actually finally had a moment to pull the front cover and mud soup with a dash of water came out...sludge like tar. Anyway, I imagine this is what started the problem from the wonderful previous owner. I just bought this truck and didn't plan on having to rebuild the whole truck but you live and learn.

Anyway, I checked the ring and pinion and spider gears seem to be ok. It appears that the inner bearing...assuming there are two...is gone. that is where the play is as you can watch the pinion move side to side and up and down right behind the teeth of the gears inside the diff. housing by the ring gear. I was planning on pulling the axles and carrier to pull the pinion out and that answers if I can just leave it all out until I can rebuild it all later. The hubs dont need the axles in place for load or anything do they? Also, I am guessing I can just leave all the fluid out since it would essenitally be an empty diff. housing now...to avoid oil everywhere? Thanks again.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 PM
creepingdeath94

OK, so I just looked a bit more at the procedure and the stub axle that goes through the hub can be separated from the rest of the axle I take it? Via the U-Joint right? Basically, I will be pulling the hubs, taking the inner axles from the joint off the stub axle, and removing the ring gear/carrier assembly/pinion. Then putting the cover back on and the hubs and stub axles and torquing back down until later.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:22 PM
Arde
All Star

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
mud soup with a dash of water came out...sludge like tar.
Sounds like mine. LOL Stuff was too thick to even leak out of the axle seals and pinion seal. Put new gear oil and it leaked everywhere.

No you don't need the axles in place. Someone here posted that they take the axles out in the spring, and put them back in for the winter. My driver side axle has been out for a while now waiting for a new one.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Arde
All Star

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
OK, so I just looked a bit more at the procedure and the stub axle that goes through the hub can be separated from the rest of the axle I take it? Via the U-Joint right? Basically, I will be pulling the hubs, taking the inner axles from the joint off the stub axle, and removing the ring gear/carrier assembly/pinion. Then putting the cover back on and the hubs and stub axles and torquing back down until later.
Yeah, you got it.

Quick Reply: Can you remove front axle pinion and leave the rest in place and drive the truck?