2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vacuum Shift Actuator Broken

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Shift Actuator Broken

Well I went to use my four wheel drive the other day and noticed that it was not engaging. First thing I thought was the Vacuum Shift Actuator. Sure enough I get down there, and the nipple broken off and the vacuum line can't stay on. I was thinking of going with the manual one, but instead decided to buy a new Actuator.

Has anyone bought or tried the ones selling on EBay? Has anyone seen any cheaper ones?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Dodge-R...063#vi-content

I'm hoping to get this fixed before the snow starts to fall. We shall see how the money situation goes. haha

Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no experience on it, but it'll be fine. probably made by dorman or cardone.

you can get the manual cable for not much more, and never have to worry about it again.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Ram-15...749157&vxp=mtr

Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can probably get one from a JY you know. Actuator that is.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

I was thinking of a junk yard, but chances are its going to be rusted out just like mine. Going the manual route is a good idea too. We shall see. I will post som pictures once I start the fix.

Old 02-25-2013, 05:57 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

(Sorry to bring up an old Thread, but better to add my update to an old one instead of making a new one)

Well I ended up replacing the actuator and low and behold.... 4x4 still broken. I started to trace back the vacuum line and every thing looked okay.

So I pulled the lines off the actuator and blew through them. One was fine, however the other one wasn't moving any air.

I ended up ripping out the most of the rusted metal lines and patching the bad spots with rubber hose's. They are close to the exhaust pipe, so I may go back down there and replace the rubber hose's with metal brake line.

All in all, four wheel drive works great now. Except the stupid indicator light doesn't work. At some point I will go back down there and take the switch off to mess with it. But doesn't matter much to me, at least I can off road again.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:06 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

for 4wd light, start by unplugging the elec connector on the end of the cad, and spray it out with wd40 or mild carb cleaner or electronic cleaner. get all the mud, sand, and gunk out of it. you can test the switch with a multimeter. it should be open in 2wd and closed in 4wd.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Shift Actuator Broken