2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Horn sounds when High beams are switched on

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 12:31 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timster
I am new here so first off I'd like to intro. myself. My name is Tim and I live in Maryland, I'm in the construction field and I prefer to do my own vehichle work, My Ram has just about 470,000 on it and I'm just trying to keep her alive. Now for my issue.

A few months ago I replaced the headlight switch for the 3rd time and not long after the rightside lowbeam went out I changed the bulb but that was not the problem as it worked on the left side but the high beam worked but was dimmer than the drivers side. Now I don't especially like driving with the highbeams on but ya gotta do what ya gotta do so now when I turn the highbeams on the horn sounds for a few seconds and the turn signal indicator stays on. I'm not very knowledgable in electrical work so I can only guess that there is a short somewhere, possibly in the multipurpose switch as the headlight switch is not the problem. Has anyone had this happen before? Any ideas anybody?
470K? WOW! How'd you manage that?

Old 11-24-2012, 06:40 PM
Timster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by techningeer
470K? WOW! How'd you manage that?

Just lucky I guess. I'ts been good to me.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:24 PM
aofarrell2
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet you were right on with oil changes... Well some guys I know have run 500K on their Cummins, and the Magnum was in many ways very similar to the Cummins, even sharing parts.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Timster

Sorry I've been away my computer dumped on me. The good news is I think I solved my issue with horn and turn signal coming on when the high beams are switched on. There are a boatload of ground wires that attach to the frame below the drivers side headlight, took them apart restripped and added a good splice.

The problem I've been having with the passenger low beam not lighting is due to the light green wire connection in the connector for the headlight switch, it's burned up so I guess I need to splice a new connector for that I guess those connectors are a ongoing thing with these trucks. I'll have to look into seeing whats involved with adding a relay for the headlights. Thanks for everyones help so far!!

Timster

Old 12-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Timster
Angry

Spliced in a new connector this morning and still no rightside low beam. I'm thinking when the green wire in the connector burned up it may have screwed up the switch as well.

I'll have to go and get a stupid switch maybe a new 9004 bulb too the one I have may be defective.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:31 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would be looking for other bad ground connections. there should be more than just 1 ground connection. if 1 headlight is working and the other is not then the switch is fine. you most likely have a problem in the wiring between the one headlight and the other. you could try unplugging the headlight that is not working and seeing if it is getting power using a multi meter.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Timster
Angry

I have had the wiring in the harness from the passenger headlight all the way to the to power dist. center exposed and all the wiring looked fine.

I'm not sure where to go from here. I'd hate to start taking the dash out and I'd hate to pay a shop 100.00 bucks an hour but I'm in a bind and need to have it resolved by the 16th because it's a repair order from the storm troopers.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:21 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

what year truck is it? if i was in a pinch and it needed to be done and the driver side work but the passenger side didn't i would install relays and have them activated by the drivers side wiring.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Timster
Angry

Thanks, Wolfie

I've read where you've posted that above but just figured I'd try to get them working right before I did that.

I agree that my problem has to be between the two headlights but after finding the headlight pin inside the switch connector scorched I'm not so sure.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 PM
Timster
Angry

Wolfie,

BTW the year of my truck is a 98.

Timster

Quick Reply: Horn sounds when High beams are switched on