2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What the heck is this leaking coolant??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:38 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
On the passenger side of the motor is a black hose then runs into the heater core, then there is a another hose that runs out of the heater core, unplug the one that goes in and plug it into the one that goes out. The hose that goes into the core should be 2 hoses clamped together, unclamp them, then run it to the out hose for the core.

Easy peasy.
Exactly what he said.. Just get yourself a little adapter to slide each end of the hose over. it wont block coolant flow but you wont have heat.. I had mine like that before and it took the first 15 degree day to make me fix the heater core

Old 11-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Cbowes
Rookie

It never gets below 40 here and the two that are clamped together I just disconnect and plug the "in" hose where I took the other off? Wish I would've learned this 20 years ago

Old 11-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be easier to undo the passenger side hose from the core at the firewall, run it across the engine in front of the air cleaner and see if it's long enough to connect where the other hose is first. If it reaches it would be best to tie it back so it doesn't rub on the serpentine belt. Don't know if it's long enough or not, went out and took a look at mine and couldn't really tell.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbowes
It never gets below 40 here and the two that are clamped together I just disconnect and plug the "in" hose where I took the other off? Wish I would've learned this 20 years ago
Yup. Just unclamp where they are joined, and connect it to the out hose from the core. Shouldn't even need any clamps, all the hardware is there, at least it is on my '01.

Edit:

Arde: not sure how it would rub the serpentine belt? Doing it the above way runs it on the back side of the motor, far away from the belts...

Old 11-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Cbowes
Rookie

So there will be nothing plugged into either one I'm guessing? The hoses will just make a circle

Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM
dlyter09
Champion

So there will be nothing plugged into either one I'm guessing? The hoses will just make a circle
Yep. It just does a loop bypassing the heater core

Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stewie01
Arde: not sure how it would rub the serpentine belt? Doing it the above way runs it on the back side of the motor, far away from the belts...
Yeah I know, I was saying run the hose that connects to the thermostat housing across the top of the engine to the other side. Whatever is easiest.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:59 PM
stewie01
Legend

You'll still have the 2nd part of the hose that goes into the core connected, but it will just be resting on whatever it finds, you'll connect the out hose to the first part of the hose going into the core.

If it wasn't pitch black dark I'd take a picture. But it'll make more sense once you see it. The two hoses clamped together only have one end you can stick in a hose and clamp down on.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Cbowes
Rookie

Yeah I looked at it and it kinda just looked like common sense lol I feel dumb but I appreciate the help guys y'all helped alot!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:13 PM
stewie01
Legend

Glad we could help

Quick Reply: What the heck is this leaking coolant??