2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 02:33 PM
~moparlove~
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stereo question

im looking at replacing my stock head unit (http://pictures.dealer.com/c/churnes...2e2e2db53x.jpg) with anything else really haha. my cassette player squeals whenever theres a tape in and i cant take it anymore. so my question is this, is that an infinity unit? ive looked in the ram handbook in my truck and it doesnt say it is nor does it say it on the factory window sticker. so the arrows point to no, but i just want to verify before i spend the money and find out i have to deal with the infinity speaker issue. thanks for any help

p.s. that picture is from google. not my actual truck but the same radio

Old 11-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To deal with infinity just cut them off and rewire. That's what I did anyway, not hard or time consuming.

I didn't even bother messing with the tweeters

Old 11-29-2012, 04:49 PM
brewman
Rookie

Just about any head unit will work - just get the appropriate wiring adapter kit. If you have the infinity sound system you'll need to make sure to connect the head unit's amp or power antenna trigger wire to the appropriate wire on the wiring adapter in order to activate the speaker amps located in the doors. If you have the infinity system the door speaker grills will have the infinity logo.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:56 PM
Abahdia

Originally Posted by brewman
Just about any head unit will work - just get the appropriate wiring adapter kit. If you have the infinity sound system you'll need to make sure to connect the head unit's amp or power antenna trigger wire to the appropriate wire on the wiring adapter in order to activate the speaker amps located in the doors. If you have the infinity system the door speaker grills will have the infinity logo.
I just did my 98.I ordered from Crutchfield.I think i got a really nice stereo for $120.It came with everything i needed,adapter and harness.When i ordered from them,they said it didn't matter if it had infinity or not,comes with the harness
But like Brew said above,i beat myself up all day trying to figure out why my front speakers wouldn't work,the 3rd call to crutchfield,this is what they told me,hooked it up and ahhh.
I have infinity and from what i have learned here,if you have tweeters on your a-pillars you have infinity.Sometimes it says on the grille on door panel,a little sideways 8.I had my door panel off so i pulled the speaker and seen it had an amp on it.
But i gotta ask.... Tape deck?? Reallyl I thought they went out in the 2,000's Lol It's the 10's now dude,ditch the tape,skip the cd's those were 90's,I think you missed that boat.it's all about streaming,pandora and mp3's now. So nice to not have to lug around suitcases of tapes and cd's always worrying someone is going to steal them or get ruined from sitting in your hot vehicle.
My stereo is a JVC kd-x50bt.No powerhouse but a nice stereo,handsfree bluetooth,usb,mp3 aux in,can sync up to 2 phones.No cd player,no tape player.I listen to pandora or my mp3 playlist on my phone thru the radio.

Good luck

Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 PM
~moparlove~
Professional

thanks for the input guys. never got around to getting a new head unit today will in the near future. probably the weekend. and it wont be a cassette player lol. it will be a normal new fangled machine that plays music. not bluetooth or pandora. i dont have anything fancy enough for that, but will have an aux port for my 1st gen ipod touch! (im a new age dinosaur i guess). will keep you all posted if i do it this weekend

Old 11-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Moochoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many plugs are on the back of the standard stereo?

Mine didnt turn on after the dash was apart. I have 2 large plugs (grey/white), antenna, and ground...

I feel like Im missing the power wire somewhere? If not I will be upgrading anything that an Ipod plugs into

Quick Reply: stereo question