2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thermostat/heating/Tempature Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Nascar Dad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat/heating/Tempature Issue

Now I have read many posts on Trucks not heating up, low heat, etc...
Quickly here s what I have, 2001 w/ OffRoad pkg, heavy duty towing 360cu motor, 131,000 mile
My issue truck with not get above 185 degree enigne temp, have 195 degree stant themostat, when I brought the truck it ran at 195 all the time, then I had work done to it now it won't get above 185
Here is what has been since I bought the truck, Plenum, intake gaskets, new fan hub, Thermostat( I have replaced the thermostat twice since and raditor) New front seal, 4wd actutor, 4wd drive sensor, put this in because it is vacuum related.
Ok 1st ?, I have a dodge technical service manual I got, it states that trucks with heavyduty package(don't if my towing package is consider that) that is normal to have low temp and low heat
Does any else have this pkg and do you run a higher thermstat(210), I don't know what came out since I originally did not do the work.
I have made sure there is no air in system, both heater hose are hot to touch, top raditor hose is solid with fuild
Also raditor cap is cool to touch even atfer drive for long periods.\\
Sorry to be long winded but I am ready to sell this thing, but I like it

Old 12-01-2012, 05:51 PM
Halojm
Professional

A 10 degree difference is not much to worry about. This could depend on outside air temp, in the winter an engine will run cooler that the summer. Also a thermostat is fully open at the proscribed temperature listed on it. It actually starts opening sooner. As the wax inside the thermostat melts and expands it pushes it open. It's not a fully open or fully closed circuit, it opens as much as it needs to keep the engine cool. My 180 thermostat reads about 170/175 on the dash. Not an issue, Heater works great.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Nascar Dad

Thanks for the input Halojm, that helps, but I still have poor heat, thinking of flushing the heater core,but both heater hose are very hot, I have also read about actuator doors, but in 30 years of owning cars never had that that issue,

Old 12-01-2012, 06:12 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would guess if both hoses are very hot then heat is not being blow or sucked through the heater core like it should be. how well does the blower motor seem to blow?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:24 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

cut or disconnect the heater hoses and backflush the core as good maintenance. be gentle around the heater core tubes and don't break the tubes. i prefer to cut the hoses out in the middle and reconnect with a coupler.

test the blend door by rotating temperature **** from hot to cold to hot and see if it responds like it should at several points.

a long time ago we used to have to put a piece of cardboard over the radiator to get heat.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Nascar Dad

The blower motor works great, blend door seems to be operating right, I will try flushing and see what happens,
Thanks Everyone, I will let you know

Old 12-01-2012, 09:55 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also burp the system. Could be air trapped.

Quick Reply: Thermostat/heating/Tempature Issue