2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Jet performance chip

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or hold papers down on your desk with it.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:33 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Back when I had my 2001, I had a Superchips 3815 first, and then sold it and bought a SCT from Hemifever.

I bought the 3815 and used it for about half a year. After a few months, I updated it on my PC one day, and went back out to retune the truck, wondering what Superchips had improved.

The truck ran like crap. Until it warmed up, it would hesitate severely, miss, ping randomly, just sounded horrible. Idle was also a little wacky until warmed up. Even after warm up, it would ping randomly, and ran very inconsistently. I took the 3815 off the truck, and it ran great. Went to Superchips, and they claimed I was the only one reporting an issue, and that it had to be something with my truck. They wouldn't even refer the matter to the engineers/programmers.

After a few weeks of badgering them, another guy with a 2001 Ram and 5.9L engine (like myself) reported the exact same issues. They finally took a look, and low and behold, the compiler they used to put together their programming updates had had a few errors. These only affected 2001 Rams.

They gave me a temporary fix, and said they'd fix it with the next programming update. They also advised me not to update my programming in the future, stating something along the lines if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Within a few weeks of that, I sold the 3815 and bought a SCT from Hemifever. Any company who won't stand behind their product or programming 100% does not deserve by business. It turned out for the best, as the SCT was better in power and gas mileage than the Superchips, and Hemifever stands behind his programming. I would not own a Superchips for my 2010 Dakota if I had any other real alternatives, as the SCT does not function for any vehicles newer than 2006.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:04 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so glad that JET sponsors this section of the forum...

Basically a junk product, but so long as they're throwing money at the forum, the forum appears to endorse them.

Might as well have throttle body spacers and intake twirlers sponsoring the forum too...

Old 12-17-2012, 07:39 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
Back when I had my 2001, I had a Superchips 3815 first, and then sold it and bought a SCT from Hemifever.

I bought the 3815 and used it for about half a year. After a few months, I updated it on my PC one day, and went back out to retune the truck, wondering what Superchips had improved.

The truck ran like crap. Until it warmed up, it would hesitate severely, miss, ping randomly, just sounded horrible. Idle was also a little wacky until warmed up. Even after warm up, it would ping randomly, and ran very inconsistently. I took the 3815 off the truck, and it ran great. Went to Superchips, and they claimed I was the only one reporting an issue, and that it had to be something with my truck. They wouldn't even refer the matter to the engineers/programmers.

After a few weeks of badgering them, another guy with a 2001 Ram and 5.9L engine (like myself) reported the exact same issues. They finally took a look, and low and behold, the compiler they used to put together their programming updates had had a few errors. These only affected 2001 Rams.

They gave me a temporary fix, and said they'd fix it with the next programming update. They also advised me not to update my programming in the future, stating something along the lines if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Within a few weeks of that, I sold the 3815 and bought a SCT from Hemifever. Any company who won't stand behind their product or programming 100% does not deserve by business. It turned out for the best, as the SCT was better in power and gas mileage than the Superchips, and Hemifever stands behind his programming. I would not own a Superchips for my 2010 Dakota if I had any other real alternatives, as the SCT does not function for any vehicles newer than 2006.
I loved my superchips 3865, but absolutely hated dealing with their customer support. I agree, they pretty much suck. Every issue I had with it (mainly updating and connecting to the utility) was somwhow my fault, or my computers fault. They would never own to up anything. Go onto their forum, just about every answer is, "it's your computer" or "we don't support wireless connections". (this opne gets me, why not?) If I could have afforded it at the time I would have dumped the superchips and got an SCT myself.

Quick Reply: Jet performance chip