2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will this Steel Bumper work with a winch.? Iron Cross Road Armor

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 04:29 PM
tresvatos
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much for the compliments ! This turned into about a month long project in evenings and on weekends. Had to cut my own brackets because of the body lift, and rearrange the winch clutch handle, rewire fog lights make fog/driving light brackets. Etc. makes it all worth it to get the kind compliments in the end! Thanks again!

Old 03-10-2013, 04:42 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice job, looks great congrats. I can't help but wonder how everything would look if it was all white. Rather sweet and clean/finished looking I'm guessing.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:10 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bumper looks good. Appears pretty beefy. So there was enough room for the winch?

Old 03-10-2013, 05:12 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think if you wanted it White you would want to have it White Powder Coat so it doesn't scratch so easy....

Old 03-10-2013, 07:25 PM
tresvatos
Professional
Default What it took to mount this bumper.

I had to use flat steel 3/16"thickness to reinforce where the winch is mounted then grade 8 3/8 bolts to mount the winch. The WARN 8000 clutch handle was protruding above the winch, which would have it jabbed into the AC condenser/radiator. That was going to force me to have to extend the bumper out leaving a huge gap between the body and bumper, which would have looked " rigged /ghetto "" to me. I read on another off road forum where folks would adjust the winch clutch handle to face up when the winch is mount on it's side. After doing this mod, I was able to mount the bumper almost flush with the body with maybe a 1/2 " or 1/4" gap from the body. The reason for this is to leave a small clearance for the winch to solenoid cables so theses would not touch the AC Condenser causing a short when powered on. i had to fab. brackets from half inch steel and then grade 8 bolted and welded where possible. This bumper is " Rock Solid " on the Ram. I Have seen rams in the photo section that have white bumpers and they look pretty sharp.. From a cosmetic standpoint the black bumper just looks like something is missing from the Ram at a distance, but NO BIG DEAL. the lights are LED projector lights that are bright as He77, so kind of worried if I may have to downgrade to a lower wattage LED to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. The outer LED lights come on in place of factory fogs, and the middle LED lights come on with the high beams. If I go white I had contemplated using the wonderful stuff plasti-dip to try the look. This stuff is durable yet reversible if the look does not work. I will try to get more oics as soon as i can.

Thanks for all the positive comments again!

Old 03-10-2013, 07:40 PM
tresvatos
Professional
Default Keep Bumper Black or change to White on my white RAM

This is what I am debating doing. This IS NOT the same make of bumper I have, this one looks bigger, bulkier thank mine, but gives an idea of a white winch bumper.

Trying to get opinions to keep my winch bumper black, or chance to white.

Got this photo from the photo section of the forum.

Last edited by tresvatos; 06-10-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:46 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks good black, but white would flow good with your truck too.

Flip a quarter

Old 04-08-2013, 11:08 AM
tresvatos
Professional
Default A pic of the finished bumper install

just a quick pic of the finished install. Name:  Dodgeramwithnewbumper1_zpse105ed68.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  77.1 KB

Old 04-08-2013, 11:36 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Very nice! Maybe someone here can photoshop it white for S&G's.

Quick Reply: Will this Steel Bumper work with a winch.? Iron Cross Road Armor