DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Transfer case BUSTED? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/343309-transfer-case-busted.html)

dlyter09 12-04-2012 06:32 PM

It is very possible but also I had similar failure with NO front driveshaft in so that would eliminate it for me.. And the snap ring failure is on the tailshaft of the t-case.. Look in the DIY section for the transfer case saver DIY done by wombat ranger.. It will give you a good idea of what is going on there. I will be installing one on my next case.

Edit: Just looked over your pictures again.. Did you remove the chain or was it like that? If so Im guessing it was snap ring failure that led to the main shaft wobble.. Domino effect there..

aofarrell2 12-04-2012 06:59 PM

Well it is possible, although I have never heard of it... It could cause some problems, but looking at some 2001-2002 models they didn't have split axles, so IDK.

Spillage 12-04-2012 08:51 PM

Are there any subtle telltale signs that would elude to a pending snap-ring issue?

dlyter09 12-04-2012 08:56 PM

Vibrations, noises.. There is an easy and relatively cheap fix for it and thats to install the transfer case saver.. cost like 50 bucks if I remember right

merc225hp 12-05-2012 01:37 AM

Dlyter09

Q Did you have any odd vibe when braking from say 60mph med to hard braking force. Did it feel like the rear wheels/brakes were stopping faster than the tranny was downshifting? I have a idea to this problem but need more info from you.

aofarrell2 12-05-2012 09:31 AM

Another symptom is clunking when shifting into reverse and clunking whenever the transmission upshifts. Just be sure it isn't u-joints first.

dlyter09 12-05-2012 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by merc225hp (Post 2919684)
Dlyter09

Q Did you have any odd vibe when braking from say 60mph med to hard braking force. Did it feel like the rear wheels/brakes were stopping faster than the tranny was downshifting? I have a idea to this problem but need more info from you.

I had a vibration from about 50 to 65 that I could never figure out.. It wasnt present until 50 and then at about 65 it was gone.. Same went for slowing down.. Thats all I can really remember that was around for every case.

Edit: And I had ruled out the out of balance tires.. I had 3 different sets of tires on and they all did the same thing.. And the vibration was felt in and heard in the area of the transmission/ transfer case.. I could go to say about 60 and the vibration was there and would stay until I either slowed down to below 50 or sped up to above 65

merc225hp 12-05-2012 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by dlyter09 (Post 2919843)
I had a vibration from about 50 to 65 that I could never figure out.. It wasnt present until 50 and then at about 65 it was gone.. Same went for slowing down.. Thats all I can really remember that was around for every case.

Edit: And I had ruled out the out of balance tires.. I had 3 different sets of tires on and they all did the same thing.. And the vibration was felt in and heard in the area of the transmission/ transfer case.. I could go to say about 60 and the vibration was there and would stay until I either slowed down to below 50 or sped up to above 65

That's what I was looking for thank you for the info, Now time to seek a tranny guy for input. I will get back to you on my theory after I dig some more.

dlyter09 12-05-2012 12:04 PM

OK.. well if it helps ever since I had the truck there was a vibration.. Except it was at a higher speed.. It originally started at about 80-85.. Then one time I was cruising at that speed down the highway and it went away.. Just to find out it was now vibrating at the 50-65 range..

merc225hp 12-05-2012 12:13 PM

I have a persons truck here that is doing somewhat close to what you describe, On a test drive I swear if I was to hammer on the brakes it would rip out the t case in a flash. The 4wd shift handle goes just nutz side to side, and no its not the brakes or the tires.