DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Transfer case BUSTED? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/343309-transfer-case-busted.html)

dlyter09 12-05-2012 12:34 PM

My case lever didnt have alot of side to side but it would move front and back on acceleration and under hard braking.. Cruising at the speed I could hear and feel the vibration I could reach down and feel it in the t-case shift lever.

On second thought it mainly did go crazy under hard braking.. I remember having to make a very abrupt stop one night and my glasses that were on the lever got thrown off..

Wombat Ranger 12-05-2012 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by QuadCabLuv (Post 2919255)
Got any vibrations in the front end? Bad u joints will rattle it apart

That's what happened to mine. Broke it right in half.

Merc I look forward to hearing your theory.

merc225hp 12-05-2012 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Wombat Ranger (Post 2920011)
Merc I look forward to hearing your theory.

Man I am most likely so far off, I wish I knew more about auto trannys (just this once anyways).

merc225hp 12-05-2012 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by dlyter09 (Post 2919899)
My case lever didnt have alot of side to side but it would move front and back on acceleration and under hard braking.. Cruising at the speed I could hear and feel the vibration I could reach down and feel it in the t-case shift lever.

On second thought it mainly did go crazy under hard braking.. I remember having to make a very abrupt stop one night and my glasses that were on the lever got thrown off..

I missed this...... this is starting to make sense again. Its not the t case, the t case joint to the trany is the weak spot and that's were they break/fail. As for why I am still working on that.

dlyter09 12-05-2012 07:50 PM

Hmm.. Idk if you saw my last failure but it ripped off the back of the trans.. Who knows.. look forward to seeing what you come up with

Spillage 12-06-2012 09:45 PM

This thread has surfaced rather timely for me, I feel.

I recently noticed a faint whining noise that coincides with ground speed... sometimes there, sometimes not... sounds like an axle whine from 20-30mph, though a little higher pitched... by ~60mph it sounds more like a gearbox "singing"... it does seem to emanate from mid vehicle... I don't have any clunking on down shift, or erratic shift lever movement... all runs smooth.

I recently had the transmission out to change the clutch, and this noise started maybe 1000 miles later (I'm at 152k)... so I'm guessing during the removal the tail-shaft the output shaft was bumped and unseated the circlip.

I've ordered a TC Saver kit already... I'll report back after install to let you know if the noise has gone.

Hahns5.2 12-06-2012 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by cerberus63 (Post 2919437)
SO, no one thinks that it's possible that the front axle is engaging (on it's own) while the transfer case is still out (not engaged) and could this cause the failure(s)? Snap ring failure(s)??

When the snap ring fails, it allows the mainshaft to walk forward at will, when it walks forward, the dogs move forward into the shift collar and the front output is engaged, this creates a shock load in Rams because it isn't a live front axle that spins all the time. This shock load could certainly cause this failure.

My Dakota has (had, actually) a live front axle, so both times I lost the snap ring, it didn't hurt anything because the front axle/driveshaft was already spinning.

baileysoffroad 12-07-2012 10:17 PM

Now yall got me worried...thinkin i need to track down and keep a few t-cases on hand...any aftermarket upgrades to the tranny that'll take this problem outa the picture?

HeyYou 12-07-2012 10:34 PM

Transfer Case saver. 'bout half way down the page.

Spillage 12-07-2012 10:50 PM

Picked mine up here;
drivetrain.com