2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Dodge Ram transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 02:38 PM
mattyfranchise
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Dodge Ram transmission issues

Im trying to diagnose the transmission problem on my truck. When I am driving up steep hills the tranmission hesitates to gear down, it is an automatic and jumps to third and sometimes quickly down to second. When it jumps down a gear and I try to maintain the same speed there seems to be a loud rattling from under the vehicle, im assuming its coming from the transmission. The higher the RPM's the louder the rattling so I let off the gas and slowly climb the hill. This only happens on steeper hills when the transmission has to downshift, also struggles more with weight in the back, i.e. snowmobile. I have been researching and this might possibly be a torque converter issue?

Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

my ford used to do the same thing when it got hilly. I think it is a confused comp...you should just put it in a lower gear until the road levels out a bit.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 AM
highrevr/tflea
Champion

Checking the fluid levels wouldn't hurt either. Gravity works so the fluid is prolly running to the back of the trans.

Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Ram transmission issues