2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

auto to standard tranny swap - please advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 04:34 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default auto to standard tranny swap - please advise

After careful consideration, I have decided it is time for drastic change. My V6 auto 2wd is nearing 60k miles on it's second tranny & now THAT tranny is going bad after 10 months. I can not trust the auto tranny in a dodge truck any more. I can not put a PACT unit in because they are greared for V8 power - which this truck will never have. I want to swap it out for a standard tranny. I need to know which tranny to look for, what may be involved & any tips to assist in this. Failing this, I am selling it asap. I have owned 4 gen 1 rams & this is my first gen 2. The craigslist in my area has many dodge trucks with V8's to choose from & they mention the price on the awesome truck is so good because the tranny is going bad. Parts store man has the same truck as mine down to year & engine, less than 90k miles & he said he is on his 4th tranny. ALL of my local tranny shops say they never heard of a bad dodge truck tranny, they all think they are great so they have no upgrade rebuilds available so they say. I know that is BS meant to generate more business for them. The level of contempt at the powers that be for making such worthless trannies for so many years is high in me right now. Now I shall stop ranting & ask for your support. Thanks for reading.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search, this had been asked a few dozen times... There's even a right up on an auto trans to nv3500 on the 1st gen Dakota subforum on here.

Quick Reply: auto to standard tranny swap - please advise