2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Serpentine belt squeaking!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM
ttfd4f
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine belt squeaking!!!!

When I first got the truck (97 Ram, 360 engine) back in June it squeaked. And I replaced the belt. It went away and all was great for about 4-5 months. Then last month it came back. It started off really quiet but now its getting very very loud. Before I knew any better i sprayed some of that belt conditioner on it, but that made it 10X worse. I know realize everyone says not to use that stuff and I see why. I've heard when you replace the belt, the bearings in the water pump tend to go out due to the higher tension on the new belt. Is this true? If so, how can you tell if that's my problem. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. I can't stand the noise!! Its almost quieting out my magnaflows!!

Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Remove the belt and spin each pulley to make sure they spin freely without too much wobble. Also check that the tensioner moves all the way back and forth to its full extent. What brand belt did you buy? Also spray and clean the pulleys with brakleen and a wire brush to get rid of that gunk you put on there.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 PM
guzman
Professional
Default Belt

Take your belt off and check the tension pulley,alt. pulley and the idler pulley as well as the water pump for bearing play, are all pulleys lined up square so belt runs true?

Old 12-11-2012, 12:16 PM
ttfd4f

I did take the belt off and look at each pulley. They all seemed to be normal and working just fine. The belt didn't seem to have hardly any gunk on it. I don't remember what brand it is, just one from AutoZone. I don't tend to buy cheap stuff so I don't imagine I did here. The tension pulley seemed to be working just fine as well. I didn't get to check the water pump very well though. I couldn't find much room to get my hands in there. I probably need to check it again. Did I just wobble it and try to find some play? Or how exactly do I figure if/what is wrong with it?

Old 12-11-2012, 12:50 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Spin all pulleys by hand and listen for any kind of noise coming from them.. Check to see if there is any wobble in them also.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:59 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The tensioner needs to be checked with a wrench or socket while the belt is off to check for travel. And forget "looking" at the belt. Check the tensioner, clean the pulleys and replace the belt with a DAYCO.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:09 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Mine made terrible noise when I first got it. I put a gatorback belt on it and wahlah....no more squeeky.

Quick Reply: Serpentine belt squeaking!!!!