2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9L Ram 2001 Misses, hisses and backfires when cold.. HELP!.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 01:46 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, upstream, aka pre-cat.

Yes, NTK. These trucks come factory with them and any others are iffy or may not work period.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
The thing that confuzzles me is why wouldn't it misbehave like that even when warm/hot?
These sensors, all of 'em ever made, require a good amount of heat to catalyze the chemical reaction that's the magic inside them. The PCM expects the internal heater (internal to the sensor, that is) to get the job done in about a minute, but when the sensor gets old it requires more and more heat to get it working properly and the internal heater is then insufficient. Thus the stuttering, hissing, and so on immediately upon switching to closed loop. Run the thing for a while and the hot exhaust gases flowing over the sensor will heat it the rest of the way to make it work more or less properly.

Let the thing go far enough into failure mode and just cruising along unladen, with relatively cool exhaust gas, will let the sensor cool enough to drop back into failure mode.

Now ya know.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:11 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unreg, I learn more from you than any manual. Thanks for helping out.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gertie240
Unreg, I learn more from you than any manual. Thanks for helping out.
You're welcome!

I'm just doin' my thing to keep the good mojo in motion -- the more you spread around, the more comes back around. This world needs a lot more of it.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
These sensors, all of 'em ever made, require a good amount of heat to catalyze the chemical reaction that's the magic inside them. The PCM expects the internal heater (internal to the sensor, that is) to get the job done in about a minute, but when the sensor gets old it requires more and more heat to get it working properly and the internal heater is then insufficient. Thus the stuttering, hissing, and so on immediately upon switching to closed loop. Run the thing for a while and the hot exhaust gases flowing over the sensor will heat it the rest of the way to make it work more or less properly.

Let the thing go far enough into failure mode and just cruising along unladen, with relatively cool exhaust gas, will let the sensor cool enough to drop back into failure mode.

Now ya know.
Got it, makes complete sense now.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: 5.9L Ram 2001 Misses, hisses and backfires when cold.. HELP!.