2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bypassing evap canister

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 01:31 PM
woodtrucker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bypassing evap canister

Hello all, Diving into vac leak issues and found that one of the vac lines (don't know which one yet) has been broken off at the evap canister. My question is should I plug both vac lines and bypass the evap canister or should I close the loop to the canister by connecting the vac hose from purge solenoid to the TB? Just don't want to throw any codes. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who prefers a gutted cat aka not worried about emmisions! I just want to make sure I don't have a vacuum leak.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:40 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The evap canister is there for help vent the gas tank IIRC, so NO. Don't plug them.
I would just go ahead and fix it.

You watch, you fix it and you set a code.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 PM
woodtrucker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is a little different. it's more of a circular canister with two small vac line connectors completing the loop from the manifold and throttle body and one line going to fuel tank to subtract the vapors. One of the vac lines going to engine compartment is busted right at the canister. I do need to reconnect it correctly as I've got a pc of tygon tubing ziptied together to connect right now. I'm sure that still leaks and possibly another leak somewhere cause i still got wild vents. Checked one of the two check valves in that loop and found out someone put the check valve (that is not working now) on the wrong set of vac lines. I'm going to replace both check valves, put them in the right place and hopefully get a new connector for the evap canister tommorow if I can find one. Then maybe my vacuum leak will be fixed. if not I'll head over to cruise control module and see if it's causing a leak. Great thing about a beater is that you get learn a little something to be dangerous!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:02 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just replace all vacuum lines that are broken.

Quick Reply: bypassing evap canister