2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trying to find NP231 parts

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:22 PM
Wurzberger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to find NP231 parts

Last trip up to the mountains in the snow my transfer case started making noises at me.
I got it off the the truck and starting tearing it apart. I noticed bits and pieces of the mode fork pad sitting at the bottom of the case and some very obvious wear on the fork its self. I cant see any wear on the synchronizer sleeve but should I buy a new one anyways?
I have a 98 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9l with a NP231HD transfer case. I found plenty of sites selling parts for a NP231J for jeeps but no mention if they work in other NP231s. Does anyone know of a good site to buy parts that will work on my transfer case so I can get my truck back on the road before we get hit with any snow?

Here is a picture of the underside of the fork. From what I have seen of other forks it looks like about 50% of it is ground down. I wouldnt have thought the short bit of noise I heard would have caused that. Now that I think about it, it only happened when I was coasting downhill.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:20 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...rts/np231.html
Should be right even though it doesn't say D or HD. It would be good to call to make sure.

Quick Reply: Trying to find NP231 parts