2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Ram No/Low Heat

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 PM
kerryd15
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue last week. flushed both ways with water while having the hose shoot into a clear jug to see what I caught. Water didn't do much. I tried water then blowing the hose the same direction with an air nozzle. Water first then air-Short bursts of air- don't want to make it a balloon. I could not believe what came out. That heater core makes for a good filter. I will note that I had both hoses hot going to the core before this so I knew I some flow. If you have done a plenum gasket, or water pump like I have you will probably find chunks of gasket, strips of RTV silicone, maybe sand. bunches of stuff it has collected.

Mine heats very well now.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM
sungod
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think you can take out the blower motor, and kinda/sorta see up in there..... While you are there, clean out as much of the stuff that tends to accumulate in there as well.
Haa, yeah, did that the other day after getting annoyed from the buzzing sound that wouldn't go away. Emptied out all the helicopters.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 PM
hmrj323

Well, thanks for the tips. But here is what finally happened. Let the boy borrow the truck for work on a nice 50+ degree day and of course forgot to tell him to remove the cardboard! Overheated the truck, thought he checked the fluid level correctly in the dark without a light!!! Drove it home. I checked it in the morning and only 1.5 gallons low! After topping it off heard a crackling noise from the heater core. Broke free a ton of rust and crude. Of course jammed up the thermostat. Reflushed entire system and back flushed the heater core. New heavy duty thermo from NAPA and Walla heat ever since.
Who would have thought your kids screw-up would actually fix something, maybe is a mechanic and not a bookworm!
Thanks to everyones input and for those of you that are still having the same problem....Let your Kids at it! Persistence will pay off!

Old 02-16-2013, 04:49 AM
ReadRam
All Star

Moral to the story then is, if you have no/low heater output, it's probably the heater core and you may get lucky back flushing. Poor radiator cap or air in the system will cause engine operating temperature to be higher than normal and not affect heater out put.

Quick Reply: 98 Ram No/Low Heat