2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

f'd my extension housing bushing

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 PM
camaro0991
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f'd my extension housing bushing

hey all, took my extension housing off, snap ring was in place, so im back to the drawling board on my clicking noise.

But, while in there i figured id change the rear tailshaft seal as it was dripping. Long story short while trying to pop the seal out i gouched what looks to be an aluminum bushing in the back of the housing. Its not deep, and the drive shaft still turns smooth inside it, but do i have anything to worry about? The chances of me getting another one of these bushings by tomorrow seems damn impossible. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 AM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

should not have an issue just make sure it is not a sharp edge and then put it on

Old 01-12-2013, 09:14 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i think you've just gouged the seal seat area of the housing.
(bushings are deep, and not aluminum)
sand it smooth with fine sandpaper.

if the gouge travels the entire length of the seal seat, it could be a path for an oil leak, so smear some RTV in that area before driving in the seal.

Quick Reply: f'd my extension housing bushing