DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Highway driving (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/346831-highway-driving.html)

HeyYou 01-20-2013 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Arde (Post 2948977)
OK, I adjusted my TV cable a while back. One guys got his head under the hood doing the adjusting, whats the other dude doing? Sounds like union workers to me.:D

Sticks his finger on the lever at the trans, so you don't adjust the cable too tight. :)

(and gets paid union scale, one hour minimum.)

ReadRam 01-26-2013 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by konspiracy (Post 2949125)
Pull the clip out, move it to about 1/2 to 1/3 inch up slide clip in and go for a test drive. But that only helps with kick down. Prolly need to buy overdrive clutches. All you have to do it drop the tail shaft and replace your clutches and reinstall. Don't have to pull the tranny. Pull the pan clean the solenoid and magnet run the truck for a couple miles and do a full fluid change. When the overdrive clutches go out or your torque converter is going it puts tons of metal shavings into the transmission and clogs everything. Start saving for a new transmission if that's the case.

TV cable will also change your shift points and moving it half inch at a time is to much , try 1/8 inch increments.

PmuLLin 01-26-2013 07:20 PM

I change my tps and I got it up to 50 and it seems to be doing a lot better, Rpms are at 1800-200 till I get to 45-50 then drops Down to 1500 and below so I'm guessing the o/d is kicking in? Correct me if I'm wrong please. But this was when it was warm so we will see tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who had input and also how hard is it to change the trams fluid I do my oil but never done the transmission input or any pointers would be great I have a Haynes Manuel but all take all the help I can get!!! Thanks everyone !!!

HeyYou 01-27-2013 08:59 AM

Sounds like things are working as they should.

Doing a filter/fluid change is pretty easy, just messy.... picking up a drain plug for your trans pan, and installing it while it's down isn't a bad idea. Makes future changes much less of a chore.

PmuLLin 01-27-2013 11:14 AM

Any reccomendations on brand of fluid I got 102k on my 98

ReadRam 01-27-2013 11:36 AM

ATF+4. Do not use dexron.

guzman 01-27-2013 05:37 PM

Atf 4

Originally Posted by PmuLLin (Post 2953730)
Any reccomendations on brand of fluid I got 102k on my 98

You can go to Wally World and get their brand of ATF 4 for cheaper, I used Valvoline when I put my B&M deep pan on a couple weeks ago, just did not feel like giving WalMart the business that day. Keep everything sanitary when you do the job and install a drain plug in your stock pan, seems like they are under $10.

dhvaughan 01-27-2013 06:51 PM

transmission service can be very easy, or terribly nasty - depending on whether you control the pan full of fluid, or whether it gets away from you.

understand that the level of fluid is above the pan gasket, so when you crack the seal on the pan, its runs out from all sides. i recommend you do it like this -

put down a big piece of cardboard about 4x4. place the largest drain pan you can find under the trans. a rubbermaid type works good. remove all the pan bolts except for about 4 or 6 on the corners. loosen those 1-2 turns. if fluid starts draining out - let it drain down to the top of the pan. if fluid doesn't drain, use a rubber hammer or block of wood/hammer to smack the side of the pan. try to avoid sticking anything between the pan and trans to break the seal. if you do have to stick something in there, use a thin putty knife between the gasket and pan, NOT the gasket and transmission body.

after the fluid level drops, move the drain pan out of the way and put a floor jack under the pan and jack it up snug under the pan. don't bend it. keep in mind that the pan full of fluid is heavy and awkward.

now it takes about 3 hands for this step. with jack snug under the pan, remove the remaining pan bolts. place the drain pan next the the jack. while holding the pan steady on the jack and keeping it level, gently lower the jack and tilt the pan over into the drain pan.

clean the pan and magnet per the pavementsucks link, and install a drain plug so the next time is easier.
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech-article-39.html

dhvaughan 01-27-2013 06:54 PM

use atf+4 only, any brand is fine, valvoline or walmart or whatever. 96+ 46re will take 6-7 quarts. beware, its about $6/quart.