2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:05 PM
~moparlove~
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering issue

so this is probably going to be a really vague topic but any input will be helpful. anyway, like the title says, my 95 ram 2500 had developed a steering issue. when im taking a turn and coming out of a turn, my steering wheel hops i guess u can call it. or maybe jerks. however u want to call it. i havent had time this weekend to fart with it but i checked the power steering fluid and that was low so i added some to it but the issue is still there. so what could be the diagnosis of my woes?

Old 01-21-2013, 05:56 PM
guzman
Professional

Worn steering shaft U-joints is what I would check first. Lots of miles on the truck? Lifted? BigAss tires?

Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 AM
~moparlove~
Professional

185XXX miles, stock lift and tires. and i notices today, it only does it when the engine is cold. when it gets hot, it stops.

Old 01-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you mentioned adding power steering fluid, was there any remnants of leakage about the pump and/or the gear box?

How low was it? If it was a severely low, then bleeding would need to be done. However, you'd know if there was whining type sound since adding.

This might actually be an effect from joint (ball joint, track bar, tie rod). If you have jack stands, then put the front axle up. Get a helper, put e-brake on, and have the steering wheel be turned lock to lock while YOU are on the ground watching and looking for the same pop/jolt occur.

You could also do this w/o jack stands and on dirt would be easier.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:42 PM
~moparlove~
Professional

there was probably half an inch on the stick. and ill have to listen for a whine but its going to be hard due to my truck just makes a bunch of noise haha. i dont really have time to check anything until the weekend. and if it was a joint, why would it stop when the truck warms up? thats why im leaning more towards the power steering pump going, leaking, or having air in the lines. but that still doesnt make sense to me with the temp changing

Old 01-23-2013, 02:36 AM
~moparlove~
Professional

and after driving today, while my truck was cold, it didnt do it. so i dont know what the hell was wrong with it, but it seemed to right itself for the time being. im still going to check for leaks and what-not this weekend

Quick Reply: steering issue