2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

37's and 8 inch lift. need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 12:55 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Couple of things here. First is I have a 7" lift with short arm's and my truck rides just fine.
You might think that, I know I did, I had my lift for over 5 years with the short arms and thought it was great! Then I added the long arms, and its a huge difference!!! And is well worth the cost, plus it adds some travel, and stops the issue of slamming the diff cover into the track bar drop

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 01-25-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dlyter09
Dude is 16. He will be abusing this thing on and off road.. your stock axles won't handle anything more than grandpa driving on the street.. hopefully you got a good bit of money to pay for all of this stuff.
Being 16....he's got time to learn the stuff and make up for anything. We don't know how he drives his junk. Mud and snow I stand by my comments...gooder nuff!

^^^ Yes Sir I am, coil-over's here I come.

Wonder who will get their first. 17" C/Os is b/t 7-8" lift and is just barely gonna going through the hood. You know how I know.

I want to see you gofast in the snow with them!!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:04 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 1500 not a big diesel, I have owned my truck from new, I am a mech, I am 47 years old I know how my truck rides. It rides better than new. Now long arm's are on my list for later this year so we will see about that ride. Point is long arms are not needed all the time. Everybody has a op and just like ******* everybody has one. To each there own.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM
merc225hp
Champion

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Wonder who will get their first. 17" C/Os is b/t 7-8" lift and is just barely gonna going through the hood. You know how I know.

I want to see you gofast in the snow with them!!
First that depend's on the shock length and how they will be mounted right. I have yet to even discuss this with you have I. Total lift will be 10"-12" when done. Who says I will be going fast in the snow? For that matter who says it will be wheeled after all this work at all, it might just be a show-off truck not everybody builds there truck to wheel.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:15 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

damn u!! lol

You know I look forward to it from our previous convos.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:22 PM
merc225hp
Champion

^^^ Of course you will be filled into what's going on, But you know me I like to have my parts in hand before I brag lol. All I will add is King coil-over's are not cheap, thought about using Fox but if I am going big big it will be.

Ok back to the op post.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion

I should have stated something else...and it is relevant to the OP too considering such height for these trucks.

With any increased lift....you better have the engine/drivetrain/gears etc. to push the ****. Most do the lift first and then complain.....why my drinking so much gas? why can't I go faster. Plenum, stock 3.55 gears, overheated tranny....etc.

At least with Merc....we KNOW he's got the engine and care to push that targeted height beast!!

Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1500 not a big diesel, I have owned my truck from new, I am a mech, I am 47 years old I know how my truck rides. It rides better than new. Now long arm's are on my list for later this year so we will see about that ride. Point is long arms are not needed all the time. Everybody has a op and just like ******* everybody has one. To each there own.
What part of anything I said relates to any of that ^^^.... 1500,2500, gas or diesel, 2nd gen lifts are basically all the same except for coils....I didn't say you didn't know how your truck rides, ( I even agreed with you) I just told a personal expirence.... I didn't say long arms were required, just give a better ride with a few other benifits.... But your theory of op's are right on the money

Try the long arms before you change all the other stuff for a correct comparison, then let me know what you think...

Last edited by dodgetrucker75; 01-25-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:01 PM
baileysoffroad
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loveitlifted
I]m knew to the world of dodges. I;m 16 and don't have much experience. I'm looking to put 37's on my truck with either a 7 or 8 inch lift. A 5 inch RC suspension lift and either a 2 or 3 inch body lift. Its pretty much all stock other than exhaust, headers and a ram air. Axles and gearing are both stock. Its got the 5.9. I tend to drive mostly on paved roads but when it rains I like going Muddin. I do drive in snow occasionally. What i looking for help with is do i need bigger axles if so what? What gearing would i need? I don't do much heavy hauling but i don't want to lose too much acceleration. Also do any of you guys had a rough country lift? how'd you like it, are the shock upgrades worth it? What kind of tires or what brand would you guys recommend? Thanks id appreciate all the help i can get.
Here is an RC 5" lift with 3" body and 37"x13.5 Nitto Mud Grappler's on 22" rims..

Name:  PaRam2.jpg
Views: 2138
Size:  140.2 KB

Honestly i think it rides great...not sayin a LA kits wouldnt ride better...just that I'm happy with the ride...but then i come from a leaf sprung jeeper background and i actually enjoy a stiff suspension an less body roll. I would suggest you only go with 17 or 18 in. rims though....the xtra tire will give you some help with the ride and eat up more road irregularities. At 17" rim is the cut off for some brake upgrades im told.

+1 to Merc's comment about buying a parts truck 2500...thats my plan when i have the space to keep it in a few months...for now 4.88's are on the way. I can verify the stock gears are not enough...no Overdrive use at all until new gears.

as far as gas mileage...who cares...i didnt buy a full size gasser for mileage

Dont know if it was just me but the sway bar drops from RC had the bar rubbing the springs...i just made up a quick set of extensions to get them away from the coils...seen here....you might also note there is a new skyjacker drop pitman...The RC failed and wallowed out..

Name:  20130118_225505.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  107.4 KB
Name:  20130118_225517.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  97.2 KB

On the flip side to all this i believe Fabtec an skyjacker are considered much better quality lifts...if you can afford it i might go with them...

Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 PM
loveitlifted
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. I think ill just stick with my stock axles for now and 4.88 gears. I tend to drive really reasonably to hard and mostly on the road. there isnt too much mud here. Id like to get a skyjacker lift but theyre really pricey. What brand of gears do you recommend?

Quick Reply: 37's and 8 inch lift. need help