2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Mud Claws?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mud Claws?

I been unlucky with trying to find some used tires. The day before i plan on getting them, they sell them. So I'm just buying new. I already checked Treadwright and they only have 31x10.50-15s but i don't want that small. They discountinued the 33s for the 15" wheels.

Anyway, the local tire shop has some 33x12.50-15 Eldorado Mud Claws for 750 mounted and balanced on my new wheels.

I also have a choice for BF Goodriches A/T and General Grabbers but i was doing some research and a lot of people complain about the Goodriches for some reason. I didn't think they were too bad, but according to some reviews they don't sound the best. And for the Generals, I was reading a review that they tested them on jeeps and said they were horrible for mud because they didn't self clean, but good for everything else.

http://www.4x4review.com/Reviews/Pro...0/Default.aspx

The Goodriches and Grabbers are right around 875-900 mounted and balanced, so that's why i was leaning toward them Mud Claws. I looked up some reviews on them and they said they were killer in mud (obvious) and didn't ride bad on the road:
http://www.vulcantire.com/tire_review/mudclawmt_t

What's you guys' input on them?

Last edited by ChillyPhil; 02-06-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:32 PM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Anyone? I have it down to the Grabber at2s and the Mud Claws. I just want tires that's good in the mud/snow but rides nice on the road. Here's the Grabbers:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/General-Gr...-Tire/14964500

Last edited by ChillyPhil; 02-06-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:21 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I think tire opinions are like muffler opinions, it's all about what you want and what fits your needs. Sounds like you have done your research. I had Hankook Dynapro's and really liked them. The Firestones Destinations that I had before, In liked them too. Out of the two you have narrowed it down to, my preference would be the Generals.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:29 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion

Those are completely different tires, the general tires and BFGs are gonna ride real nice on the road, where as the mud claws are not. BFGs and general are very comparable tires and I would give the nod to the BFGs and normally you pay the difference. Neither of those 2 will be any good in thick mud due to their design. A true mud tire makes a hell of a difference in thick mud. The mud claws are not gonna last as long and unless you are constantly mudding or drive very little highway I would pass on mud tires.

I ran mud terrains for a year and decided for my next set to go back to all terrains I went Nitto after getting a good deal. At the time I was between BFG A/T, the grabbers and terra grapplers, the BFGs where $250 a tire and the grabbers and terra grapplers where $200. I decided to save the $200 bucks and ordered the grabbers and they where back ordered so I ended up with the nittos

Last edited by redheadhunter21; 02-06-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:47 PM
dlyter09
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definity dakota m/t's are cheap and reliable... I wont ever buy and BFG's again.. Just to much money for not a whole lot of performance... If you want to pick between the two you narrowed down I say go with the Grabbers... Just remember an A/T tire wont do that good offroad.. Just my opinion

Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM
97ramrod1500
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You really have to buy a set of tires for a specific purpose. A good mud tire is going to suck in the snow. An all terrain tire is going to be good on road and have good wet traction but is going to be only ok in mud and snow. And if you need a good tire in snow I would recommend getting an extra set cause 12.5" wide tires aren't real good in snow as they tend to float on top of it versus cut through it like narrow tires.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have no experience on the one's you mentioned, but i've got a set of these and they're awesome.

they offer 15 and 16 inch.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-33x12-...648a8c&vxp=mtr

Old 02-07-2013, 09:06 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Thanks guys for the info. I'm on a pretty tight budget and i know i can't afford them maxxis ones you posted dhvaughan.

I figured the mud claws would be fine plus they have good reviews offroad and they said they don't ride too bad on-road. 750 total is a plus for me too.

But i can get them Generals off walmart.com for 740 total. But i don't know how much a place will charge to mount and balance them. I'll probably have close to 800 once everything is said and done.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 AM
h3lzsn1p3r
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the grabers are great all around tire if you know how to drive in the bush they can get you far i have some on my 11 ram they wear great

Old 02-07-2013, 09:22 AM
ChillyPhil
All Star

Originally Posted by h3lzsn1p3r
the grabers are great all around tire if you know how to drive in the bush they can get you far i have some on my 11 ram they wear great
Yeah I'm considering them and the claws, but does anyone know what walmart charges for mount/balancing? They block the "checkout" feature at school so i can't push "add to cart" on the Grabbers to see what the total is. I know it would add up to 740 but i don't know if there is tax ontop that too.

If there is anyplace that sells Grabbers for cheaper, let me know guys.

Quick Reply: Mud Claws?