2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Lock Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Kaldir
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Lock Issues

Hey guys, I have a weird one here. I'm hoping some of you guys have ran in to this before.

Basically if I lock the doors using the power door lock on the door, it shorts the fuse out. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough that I have gone through 20 + fuse's since I bought the truck 4 years ago. I basically never used the door lock, and just used the key fob lock.

Well the key fob lock doesn't work anymore and here's where it gets weird. If I use the lock/unlock button on the key fob, the lights will flash, but the doors won't lock. Pretty sure my system is aftermarket and not factory installed. (Anyway to confirm this?) Would anyone know where the wires are run for the auto locks? Would a broken or shorted wire cause the doors to not lock, but the lights to flash?

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks guys

Old 02-25-2013, 07:10 PM
astested

My '99 cc sport 1500 does simular thing but mine it a factory unit 4 sure. The rain & snow ruined the lock switches which is common & my power lock motors have since siezed prob also from moisture, wear, crud & age. 1st thing Id do is change lock switches & lube all the linkages & work the door locks & motor by hand to free it all up. Look for shorted wiring or maybe the lock motor has an internal short in it? Its prob gonna take some time & patients to check it all over but I dont think it is the alarm/lock unit itself thats bad.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it could be a bad power lock solenoid switch thing. could also be a broken wire in the door hinge wiring harness. anything that shorts the 12v to ground will blow the fuse. take it apart and follow the wires. unplug the solenoid to rule it out, or in.

the lights flashing is coming from the radio signal receiver/controller which is then commanding lights and locks. the lights are working correct and the lock is shorting out somewhere.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:13 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

Sounds like this is going to be a fun fix! Gonna wait till summer time for trouble shooting this issue. To dang cold out side now and sounds like I'm gonna need a lot of time to trace the wires out. Hahaha

Thanks guys

Old 02-25-2013, 09:25 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

on the wifey's explorer the drivers side unlock switch (for both doors) stopped working. passenger side controls for both doors still worked, so it wasn't the door lock solenoid. i replaced the switch and it didn't fix it. damn. i got on the explorer forum and read that it was a common problem, and usually corroded/separated wiring splice in the kick panel. so i opened that up and cut open the wiring harness. it was fine. read some more on the forum about the door hinge tube. so i opened that up and found a broken wire.

not a hard job, but took a lot of patience and head-scratching to work through all the different possibilities.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 02-25-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

I know there is a short some where. As I said before I was always blowing fuses using the door switch. When the fuse was blown, the power locks on the door didn't work, however the door lock buttons on the fob still worked, which tells me they must be on different systems / wiring.

Quick Reply: Power Lock Issues