2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E Fan Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Timelord83
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E Fan Install

So I bought a cheap E-Fan kit because my local junk yards are damn crazy.. $75 for a used clutch fan blades.. wtf.. anyways.. it needs power from the ignition for the temp sensor... what wire under the hood can I tap into to get power when the key is on without running a wire into the cab and taping into the column AGAIN. Its a 12volt 250ma temp sensor.. so nothing impressive.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:58 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any KO accessory item.

Wiring diagrams in manual in FAQ/DIY section. Where does the sensor go? Location to nearest accessory item will determine the best on to tap into.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Timelord83
Rookie

It pushes through the fins of the radiator right near the top hose inlet. so basicly right next to the battery and fuse boxes

Old 03-08-2013, 07:58 PM
gdstock
Legend

OK. That makes it easy as you need fan power also to be key on only. Do you have a fuse block for the fan itself? How many amps does it pull?

There are several places. I tapped on PDC and set up fuse block to power fans. Can you post wiring diagram for fan kit? You will have a power circuit and control circut. Did it come with a relay?

I'll see if I can find the wiring diagrams in the book in my garage at half time.........

Last edited by gdstock; 03-08-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Timelord83
Rookie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUAL-14-INCH...item4d083387ed

its just a relay.. its got a fixed temp probe that goes off when it hits 185 it kicks the fans on and turns them back off at 160.. nothing special just needs to last till the snow goes so i can design a set of brackets that attach to the stock mounting holes on the radiator. and its Ignition power to probe.. probe to relay.. then it opens up for battery to fans. and fans around grounded to chassis.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 PM
gdstock
Legend

A good place to connect the sensor power to is located on the PDC, circuit C1. It is a 12 gauge wire, and is dark green. It goes from the relay to the blower motor.

And the Derale controller in the link you provided is not one that inserts into find of radiator. It shows to screw into the engine somewhere. For the power to the fan relay I would install the 30 amp fuse between the battery and the relay instead of between the relay and the fans.

Did it come with instructions from Derale? If not, check HERE.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:33 AM
Timelord83
Rookie

Mines the push through model guess i didn't realize what i ordered was not what they sent. but sure enough i'll find that wire

Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like a pretty good kit, for the price. If you can, I would avoid the - through the radiator, zip tie retainers. I used those on '51 Chevy Pickup I had, and it tweaked the radiator fins and came loose. Fins bent enough to give the fans excessive side to side movement, which bent my fins even more. Try to find some 1/2" angle iron, or something like that, and make some brakets. Not much more work, and you will be much happier in the long run. Let us know what you think of that kit, if you could. I am looking for e-fans for my truck as well.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:24 PM
gdstock
Legend

Interesting as the kit shown on the link has a different temp sensor than what you received. I prefer one that actually measures the water temp personally, but use the fin probe on my Jag e-fan setup.

Did you check the link I pisted for the witing diagram from Derale? Does yours show to wire the same way?

Also, the circuit and wires I referenced ar from the 2001 manual, which matches my 1999. Not sure if the 1998 is exactly the same or not. Just check the wire tobe sure it is off with key off and hot when key is on and you should be good.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:30 PM
Timelord83
Rookie

ya its the same minus how the probe looks.. same colors and functions per color. I am headed out now to wire the last wire up and see what happens.

Quick Reply: E Fan Install