2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

blown plenum gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 04:08 AM
~moparlove~
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown plenum gasket?

i hate to bother you all with yet another plenum thread, but the search function wont work right for me but i have tried to use it. what are the symptoms of a blown or starting to go gasket other than a clogged cat? i dont have a cat thanks to the p.o. while i had the airhat off i also peaked into the intake itself and saw some oil and dirt crap and from what ive read, thats just the pcv valve (which i replaced with the tune up) and thats ok. it doesnt look like its pooling oil either. i just want to go over all the symptoms to see if it is starting to go on me. links will be fine too to save you all the anger of typing

Old 03-11-2013, 04:34 AM
guzman
Professional

Simply read the "End all be all plenum thread" above and that should answer your questions.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Scooter78
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by guzman
Simply read the "End all be all plenum thread" above and that should answer your questions.
Yep. No search needed. It is the top thread. Have fun, its quite the read.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts
Old 03-11-2013, 03:01 PM
~moparlove~
Professional

i read that but i didnt know if there was more to it. thanks for the help and it looks like this job is in my near future

Old 03-11-2013, 03:22 PM
~moparlove~
Professional

also, will resetting my pcm do any harm to anything? i want my truck to relearn how to work with new plugs etc. quicker because it's still running rough after the tune up. i read that resetting that may help it in some cases

Old 03-11-2013, 04:06 PM
guzman
Professional

"Resetting" your computer won't hurt anything but until you get your plenum fixed and all the other things addressed that go along with that procedure I would not worry about it. Anytime you replace or work on a sensor or IAC for example you should unhook the neg. ground cable, BTW did you clean your IAC when you did the tuneup and how much did you replace during the tuneup? Did you remove the TB so you could see in the intake especially the rear for pooling of oil, a inspection mirror works wonders for this.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:28 PM
~moparlove~
Professional

guzman... 1)i did not clean the IAC 2)replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and pcv valve 3)no i didnt take of the tb. i just opened the butterflies and gave a looksie. would the plenum being shot cause the trans to shift funny? cause ive got some funny shift points. the shift points and bad idle are what originally caused for the tune up initially but that didnt correct the problem.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Arde
All Star
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dirty IAC will cause idle issues, check TV cable adjustment as a starter for the shift points, wont hurt, might help.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would use seafoam to clean out the oil in the plenum as well as valves...(It will smoke a lot when burning this oil up as it removes it).
It Could be plenum gasket... also that could be from a previously bad pvc or possibly worn rings... Where your plugs black and fouled out? any misfire codes? is the #8 plug fouled more than the rest? There are many threads here where people take the advice to blindly go out and buy the hughes plenum kit and change it without determining if thats the real issue and it doesnt resolve their problem. (Its funny because there is always less people offering help at that point since many just repeat what someone else has told them). a compression test and seafoam is a much more appropriate beginning step in troubleshooting why there is oil film in your trucks intake.

Also the shifting issue is likely related to a clogging governor pressure solenoid...very very common on these trucks... but it could be related to other things like tv cable adjustment... you dont have oversized tires do you? that will effect shifting quite a bit.

Quick Reply: blown plenum gasket?