2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hughes Airgap/m1 intake manifold/ plenum fix

Old 03-12-2013, 12:06 PM
dean98ram1500
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hughes Airgap/m1 intake manifold/ plenum fix

Now I'm pretty sure my plenum is bad, after reading the "End be all Plenum" thread, and I kind of want a little more power and figure while I'm replacing the plenum might as well do it big. Now my question is, or basically I just want to verify myself that The hughes air gap intake manifold, (link below), would repair my plenum issue as well as add a little extra power to my engine. Is it possible that the M1 intake manifold would repair my plenum but not add as much power as the AirGap would? I just want to verify this before I drop some cash on my engine. If anyone has a link to the M1 intake manifold that would also be appreciated because I cannot find it, or if anyone else recommends another part that would also be appreciated. If nothing else I might just stay safe with the regular plenum fix from Hughes Engines. (link below). Thank you.

Hughes Airgap Intake Manifold
:http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...=&partid=24773

Plenum Fix :http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/p...=&partid=27091

Old 03-12-2013, 12:50 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The M1 has been brought up a lot recently, there should be links in rednecks build thread in the General Discussion Section, or you could browse through the last few days of threads, you're bound to find the info you seek!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:24 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lots of money(for one of those intakes) for minimal gains, unless you plan on doing a lot of other work to the motor. I'd stick with a plate change. And you can get those plates on ebay for a lot cheaper.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 PM
dean98ram1500
Veteran

Hmm, yeaa maybe i'll just fix the plenum for now and maybe give the intake manifold a good cleaning in itself, that might do it some good, along with a nice cold air intake system

Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 AM
zach01
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did the kegger mod.. IMO it was a waste of time i didnt noticed much of a difference... the truck ran better but then again my plenum was toast so that coulda be the reason it was better... but just take your time if you do it your self.. i think it took me about 6 hours but i went slow and made sure everything was right... it wasnt that hard... i did it on a weekend and spent 6 hours over a two day period... but i also replaced my heater core and did my t chain and water pump so i spent a little time on each thing lol

Old 03-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Scooter78
Captain

There is the hughes plate, that you have already found, or, there is a guy on ebay that zman mentioned that sells them for about half of the price. I bought one, and the finish is great. Well made product. Seller that I bought from goes by "trisa34". Good person to deal with. I had an issue, and they made it right without hesitation even though they didnt have to. Hughes however, supplies all of the gaskets needed to do the repair also, whereas the ebay seller does not. Some things to consider. I bought from ebay seller because I already had all of my gaskets beforehand. Otherwise, I would have bought the hughes.
Also, there is a guy on here somewhere, (I cant remember his username at the moment, though Im sure somebody will...) that didnt buy the aluminum plate and instead used permatex copper gasket maker with a factory style gasket. Permatex copper is the same stuff alot of guys use while doing head gaskets. He swears by it. He said that it has enough flex to make up for the different metal expansion. He said its the same as aluminum heads on a cast iron block and he hasnt had issues with it on any of the vehicles he has done it on. Anyway... I dont know what the best solution is, but these are just a couple of options.

Last edited by Scooter78; 03-13-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:04 AM
redneck_ram
Champion

i paid a little over 500 for my m1, and install kit. its getting harder to find new, due to chrylser having them on back order.

finding them used, is a tad bit easier, but not by much. i heard there were a few for sale on a couple of the dak, and durango forums. you could try to look there.

good luck!

Old 03-14-2013, 09:47 PM
dean98ram1500
Veteran

Alright, sweet, those are definitely some things to take into concideration, I'm on a high school budget and just want to make my truck run like new so maybe I'll just stick with the regular hughes plenum repair kit, for the benefits of coming with everything that is required. Thank you guys I appreciate the input.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 PM
stewie01
Legend

Get the eBay kit instead, it's cheaper, and made by a member here.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 PM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by Scooter78
Also, there is a guy on here somewhere, (I cant remember his username at the moment, though Im sure somebody will...) that didnt buy the aluminum plate and instead used permatex copper gasket maker with a factory style gasket. Permatex copper is the same stuff alot of guys use while doing head gaskets. He swears by it. He said that it has enough flex to make up for the different metal expansion. He said its the same as aluminum heads on a cast iron block and he hasnt had issues with it on any of the vehicles he has done it on. Anyway... I dont know what the best solution is, but these are just a couple of options.

I call BS on this...... It may hold for a while, but without cutting the pan bolts doen a little, he will most likely be back into it. The expansion or "flex" has NOTHING to do with anything...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hughes Airgap/m1 intake manifold/ plenum fix