2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heater controls

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:47 PM
warlord79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater controls

ok I have a 96 ram 1500 laramie slt 5.9 gas/auto and I have a few things I need to fix....
1. I pulled the dash apart because all I can get is defrost and there is nowhere to plug in the vac lines... the only thing that's there is a gear.... what's missing

2. I have the temp thing in the overhead console but that's it when I push the button it go's black.....

3. what is the button on the rear-view there for... day or night when pushed does nothing

Old 03-22-2013, 09:16 AM
petea216
Professional

1. I'm not terribly familiar with the earlier dash internals, but as far as I know there should be a vacuum motor/solenoid that operates the vent selection. I'd check the vacuum hoses under the hood. They seem to commonly crack. Especially where they head to the cruise control unit under the battery tray.

2. You may only have the option for temperature.

3. That button turns the auto darkening feature on and off. With the button in the ON position, if someone has their high beams on, the mirror will darken itself so you don't get blinded.

Old 03-22-2013, 06:59 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Need a pic for the 1st question, but, as stated check all the vac lines on the passenger side under the hood.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:25 AM
MrZabel

Originally Posted by warlord79
ok I have a 96 ram 1500 laramie slt 5.9 gas/auto and I have a few things I need to fix....
1. I pulled the dash apart because all I can get is defrost and there is nowhere to plug in the vac lines... the only thing that's there is a gear.... what's missing

2. I have the temp thing in the overhead console but that's it when I push the button it go's black.....

3. what is the button on the rear-view there for... day or night when pushed does nothing

For 2. it is for the MPG. I have the same problem in my wife's 96. I was told i could go to Dodge and they need to reset the computer for the overhead display.

Quick Reply: heater controls