2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Voltage spike and check gauges light

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 PM
DamascusKnifemaker
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voltage spike and check gauges light

I have a 2001 Ram 1500 4X4 with 5.9L engine. Last Saturday and today while driving the Check Gauges light came on and the voltage meter pegged to the high side. I did not have any test equipment with me so both times I restarted and everything reset and went back to normal. Upon returning home I checked for ECM codes and found nothing I also used a quality Fluke multimeter and checked the voltage with the truck running and found 14.38 volts. Two years ago I had a no start issue with no gauges when the key was turned. I sent the ECM out and had it repaired. I also cleaned the main connection inside the under hood fuse/relay box and the truck has performed fine since. I can find no loose grounds. I searched the forum but found very little help on this problem that didn't involve a bunch of other problems.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you been driving it routinely or has it been sitting?

The 14+ voltage while running is not out of normal range for alternator. I would disconnect battery ground and reset PCM. While it is off, I would check alernator connections and for corrosion on grounds and other wiring just to make sure they are clean and tight.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:02 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did that a few years ago. One of the factory band style battery connectors had corroded and was loose. I clipped a penny in half and used it as a spacer so I would have a tight connection until I got a new one.
I had another battery issue a couple years after that because of a corroded connection on the battery, a few scrapes with a flathead screwdriver and it was fine.
Make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:29 AM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DamascusKnifemaker
I sent the ECM out and had it repaired.

Any suggestions?
Who did the repair? An auto computer exchange business out of Florida has a bad reputation. Your symptoms can point back to the PCM.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:31 PM
DamascusKnifemaker
Rookie

Originally Posted by newman1367
Who did the repair? An auto computer exchange business out of Florida has a bad reputation. Your symptoms can point back to the PCM.
No I did some web research and avoided the outfit in FL. I think the company I used was out of Ohio but I'm not positive about that.

Old 03-29-2014, 12:14 PM
Brownv85
Default Did you find a solution?

I'm having the same problem and symptoms. My terminals were somewhat corroded so I cleaned them but my battery was completely dead so it's on the charger for now. Was wondering if that's all you needed? Did you test the voltage in any other locations? Thx for the help.

Quick Reply: Voltage spike and check gauges light