2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Typical RPM operating range?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 02:36 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My rig shifts from 22-2500 though most gears.
But I DID tighten the shift cable and I don't drive like a grandpa around town.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This isn't any standard operating range. This is my stock setup. Started from a stop sign to go up a grade ~4-5% for about 1/4 mile. I had about 300 lbs in the bed. I get over 3K. Video stops just as come to the top.

Old 03-29-2013, 12:11 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am running 80 at about 2300 rpm.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:28 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I think I'm liking my choice of stick better now

If I drove running my rig into the 3000 rpm range, I'd be racing someone hard (or I totally forgot that I'm supposed to do the shift'n).

I can see why auto's don't get the mpg that stick do.

Between my Vehicle: listing and my signature, you can see where I'm at now.
I'm happy with my max speed, but want a little more spunk getting there.
I won't be changing tyres or ratios, but have been considering the following in addition that what I have already;

E-fans
SCT
Roller timing chain
180° Termostat
FI Airgap
52mm Throttle Body
HS1.7's
Headers (short or longtube??)
3" Magnaflow cat back

If this mix performs no worse than standard at lower rpm's (say 900-1200), I'm fine with that, but would like some more pep in its step by ~1500, and a nice wake up over 2000.
This should make a nice driver for me if I'm going easy, and added fun if I push it up the gears harder.

Thoughts?

Old 03-30-2013, 01:09 AM
drewactual
Champion

The 1.7:1 rocker rollers rock.. they are cheap and easy, not to mention damn quick to install.. nit only do they allow the engine to breathe better by adding more lift and a touch more duration, but they lessen parasitic drag on the valve train, too.. which makes you more efficient.. they do, in fact, rock..

But..

If you're serious about building in the range you indicated, put a lower rpm range cam in there.. that is the right and proper way to go about it.. the rocker rollers are just and easier way to approximate what a cam gives you.. more air in, more air out, and timed just right...

Google for a sausage cam... It sounds like what you're looking for..

Old 03-30-2013, 01:22 AM
gdstock
Legend

Originally Posted by drewactual
The 1.7:1 rocker rollers rock.. they are cheap and easy, not to mention damn quick to install.. nit only do they allow the engine to breathe better by adding more lift and a touch more duration, but they lessen parasitic drag on the valve train, too.. which makes you more efficient.. they do, in fact, rock..

But..

If you're serious about building in the range you indicated, put a lower rpm range cam in there.. that is the right and proper way to go about it.. the rocker rollers are just and easier way to approximate what a cam gives you.. more air in, more air out, and timed just right...

Google for a sausage cam... It sounds like what you're looking for..

+1. It seems everyone wants to open up TB and add headers and open exhaust, but that leaves the calve as the choke point for allowing the engine to breathe. Even a slight increase in opening or duration can make a significant difference.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Spillage
Record Breaker

Seems like my game plan is not too bad then... I'll keep the sausage cam in mind for a major rebuild, but for now the HS1.7's and SCT will have to be enough.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:34 AM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

Wow!!! My diesel runs higher RPM's than what you're doing with a gasser. I'd guess part of that is where you're at. You don't really have any hills to climb down there. But I do wonder if your light footedness is really all that good for your engine. But I guess as long you're happy with the way your truck drives that is all that matters.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker

I'm sure if loaded and climbing hills I would have to run higher rpm's before shifting.

Where I typically shift is based on experience and how labored the engine is after the shift... if it has the torque to continue accelerating at the desired rate after the shift, I got it right... I don't feel the need to run it to redline before I shift

I lived in PA for 3 years, and drove back and forth to Detroit, but didn't haul stuff... If caught behind a semi on a steep uphill run, I'd have to drop back to 4th, but whilst the RPM's are a little higher, they're not that drastic as you're at a lower speed... as I said, I've never been to 3000.
Whilst I don't run it out to redline, I certainly don't let it labor... I drive it where it sounds comfortable.

These are V8's, not 4bangers, so I'm not thinking they should be high revvers... I'm not racing it on a track, so don't want to plan for performance mod's that only work at the top end.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:04 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If my truck was a stick I think most of my shift points would be between 1800-2200 rpm for just DD'ing around.

Quick Reply: Typical RPM operating range?