2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cab light wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 06:32 PM
My360
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cab light wiring help

I just got finished install my lights and wiring them up. Before I put the dash cover back on, I flipped the switch to check it was working... and it did. Buttoned up the headliner and put the dash cover on.... I've never seen fuses blow so fast before. I pulled the switch out to make sure nothing was rubbing behind and one of the connectors got a little bent. replaced it and re-positioned the switch, still blowing fuses.
I checked the wiring, I didn't see any splits anywhere.
How I wired it:
Soldered all the grounds to one and grounded to the roof along with the switch ground. Soldered all the positive wires and ran to the switch. For power, I ran a wire to an empty slot on the fuse box on the dash (did this instead of wiring to the light switch because I didn't want to put any more load on the switch).
Any tips on something to check for would be great, I'm stumped.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:05 PM
rollinlow
Professional

your shorting out somewhere if your blowing fuses.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It definitely sounds like a wire got pinched somewhere. Unfortunately you're going to have to pull some of it back apart to find it. The dash pad is the tightest fit so I would start checking there.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 AM
My360
Professional

Yep, pulled it all down for a third time. Nothing was shorting out, I'm assuming a wire got pinched behind the NAV or A-pillar cover. everything is working fine now. Thanks for chiming in guy's, electrical never really was my strongest points.

Quick Reply: Cab light wiring help