2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 ram 5.2 spittin sputtering backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 05:27 PM
lfouse
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 ram 5.2 spittin sputtering backfiring

Im new to forum and have very big problem got screwed on a truck and now im 1000 almost in new parts think god i have a account at local napa but anyhow it had cracked head so i replaced both heads new gaskets newplugs wires rotor cap theres a new map tps and new o2 sensors both of them and im at a lose it runs alright but rich parked but when i try to drive it cuts out big time now it will not throw any codes when i unhook the o2 sensors like there not even working fuel is at a steady 48-51 psi how do u tell if it maybe the pcm or is it something else im about to burn it fed up one mechanic said it was a ground but i dont think it is unless its some grond for pcm and o2 sensors please help

Old 04-03-2013, 06:37 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

First, Welcome to DF. Second, Please add some punctuation among other things to your post's. And last not but not least, read the plenum sticky on top of the forum. I'm betting that is your problem. Thanks

Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

about the only 2 important things you didn't list are crank position sensor (top of passenger side bell housing) and cam position sensor (aka secondary pickup coil - under the rotor inside the dist cap).

i'm assuming compression is good.

another very important thing is the setting of the "fuel sync", which is related to the position of the distributor. so if the distributor has been removed or turned - and the fuel sync has not been reset (with an expensive scanner, not just a code checker), then that's likely your problem. all well equipped mechanics can do this.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:41 PM
lfouse

Well since i have no time to read 80 something pages on here and i do all my stuff from my phone.So with that being said im not going to put a period on every little thing i say i have no internet at home
well as for dist and crank no i have no replaced them nor had dist been turned
when i bougjt truck it ran ok first few days then it started all this by that time is when i found out the heads was cracked the gaskets have all been replaced theres no vacum problems according to my gauge so no intake problems it just runs like ur dumping fuel straight down intake it runs so rich

Old 04-03-2013, 07:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

black smoke rich?
does any one spark plug look a lot worse than the others? as in that injector might be dumping fuel?

Old 04-03-2013, 08:26 PM
lfouse

Its. more like bluish tint white smoke but its running rich u can smell it real bad when ur by exhaust i thought about injector to but would that cause it to run like crap even when i dont drive it

plugs i have only taken #1 out it was black and wet now when its parked it will rev all day but still pump out smoke but when i drive norm it just spitts sputters backfires unless u wot and when u push on clutch take load off of engine it will rev no problem but still smoke im at a totally lost if it a carb motor i would have no problem fixing it

Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM
lfouse

One other thing if injector was pumping like its locked open wouldnt i lose pressure at rail with truck off it stays at 48-50 for a good half hour before it drops then it was only down to 40 at a hour or so before i took gauge off of fuel rail

Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

just thinking out loud - check plug wires to make sure 1 or 2 are not crossed up, and firing at the wrong time.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:29 AM
Luca _The_Kunk

sounds like a plenum gasket it seeps oil into your intake and thats were the white smoke is comming from you dont get white smoke from to much gas if it is burning oil and getting to much gas it will probably still be white smoke look up plenum replacement and type in the make and model of your truck its a common problem and there are planty of DIY tutorials online its to much for me me to type im on a phone to

Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 AM
lfouse

Its not the intake the gaskets are new for the plenum and i checked several times to make sure it was sealed and theres also no wetness in intake
the plug wires are not crossed they was checked three times it has something to do with fuel and also wwhy isnt the o2 sensors working it will not change way it runs with them hooked up or not

Quick Reply: 96 ram 5.2 spittin sputtering backfiring