2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cylinder 6 misfire/transmission slipping help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 03:53 AM
Cheertashie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cylinder 6 misfire/transmission slipping help

I thought I saw a post about something similar a few weeks ago and now I can't find it. Sorry if its repeated, I just need help!

I have a 2001 dodge 1500 5.9 automatic and for the last few weeks, the transmission seems to be slipping when going from second to third intermittently. Originally the check engine light came on and said that I had a cylinder 6 misfire. I took it into get checked out and the spark plugs, wires, compression, etc. were all fine. They thought a fuel injector might have been clogged and they put cleaner in it, but that was just them "guessing". My truck still seemed to slip between 2nd and 3rd, took my truck into the dealership to get the transmission serviced and one of the bands was lose, they fixed that and said the transmission looked good. They truck seemed to be fine for a day and then started to slip again. So, I took my truck into another shop explaining my problem and they couldn't figure anything out either!

In the last 2 years, I've gotten a rebuilt transmission put in, a new computer system and a had to get my drive shaft replaced after it fell off while driving on the highway, I'm not having the best of luck

Old 04-05-2013, 06:11 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out the transmission thread sticky at the top of the tech page. its a bit long, but its a worth while read!

Old 04-05-2013, 01:16 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Is it slipping or just simply not shifting to 3rd?

Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Cheertashie

It does shift to 3rd, but it slips about 20% of the time driving

Old 04-05-2013, 04:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Slipping or delayed shift? As in if you take your foot off the pedal does it shift then? Read this and see if you find anything similar. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...agnostics.html

Old 04-06-2013, 01:47 AM
Luca _The_Kunk

check your output speed sensor after a while they will get metal shavings all oer the magnetic end and cause the trans to go crazy clean it off good with a rag and pop it back in and see if it shifts out right

Quick Reply: Cylinder 6 misfire/transmission slipping help